Vintage Vans, Canberra to Cameron Corner. May 22 2023

Tooleyau

Vintage Vans, Canberra to Cameron Corner. May 22 2023

Post by Tooleyau »

Planning is underway for a Vintage Caravan tour from Canberra to Cameron Corner via Albury,following the river to Mildura, then to Broken Hill, Packsaddle, Tibooburra, Cameron Corner. And places in between.
Roads from Canberra to Tibooburra is tarmac all the way. The last 150k is dirt and at this stage we do not know the quality of roads between Tibooburra and Cameron Corner. If possible we plan to take the caravans, if not we plan to do a day trip, or rough camp overnight behind Cameron corner store.

It will be a mostly free camping (camping off the grid) and Country Pub Camping ( camping behind a pub), and the occasional Caravan Park to top up water etc.

Departure is on Monday 22nd May from Canberra and the first night will be around the Albury area.

Ken Herne and Michael Toole are the organisers and any suggestions as to a good place to stay will be warmly welcomed.

There is no fixed agenda or return date. Maximum time away would be 2 weeks(ish).
Richard

Re: Vintage Vans, Canberra to Cameron Corner. May 22 2023

Post by Richard »

Wow would be a great trip Tooleyau.
Shame some of us have to work. :D :D
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Tooleyau

Re: Vintage Vans, Canberra to Cameron Corner. May 22 2023

Post by Tooleyau »

For those wishing to join this trip I have added some more information. This will be updated as more details come to light.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Things that need doing now.
1. Book Rutherglen. I have contacted Rutherglen and they have reserved 6 sites for us. Please contact them on 02 6032 8577 and say you are with the Vintage Caravans.
2. Book Mildura - Please contact then directly on 03 5023 0486. And book your site and tell them you are with the vintage caravans
3. Book Broken Hill - Phone 0437 250 286. When ringing speak to Sue and tell her you are with the Vintage caravans.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have contacted Rutherglen and they have reserved 6 sites for us. Please contact them on 02 6032 8577 and say you are with the Vintage Caravans. Cost $36 per night.

Ron has suggested that we stay at a Travellers rest 33 k south west of Echuca at Lockington. Has sites with power and water $15 per night van or sites unpowered free on adjacent grassed area but $3 for showers. Would need to book powered sites if interested.

There are 4 caravan parks in Swan Hill and a number of free camps around. No decision has yet been made as to where we are to stay.
Discussions at to what options to take will be held at Rutherglen.
Just because the next 3 nights are at Echuca and Swann Hill does not mean that we have to stay there.

I have contacted the BIG4 Mildura Getaway Holiday Park and they can accommodate us but not necessarily together.

Please contact then directly on 03 5023 0486. And book your site and tell them you are with the vintage caravans. I have booked site 17 and they will try to get us together. However, if not then we can deal with that. If there turns out to be not enough spaces (as I still don’t know how many are coming) then there are plenty of caravan parks in and around Mildura.

Cost is about $40 per night.

Address: 478 Deakin Ave, Mildura VIC 3500

NO PETS

Broken Hill Racecourse
Primitive Camp Site 5km NE of Broken Hill
Racecourse Road, Broken Hill
Phone 0437 250 286
Facilities: Drinking Water, Dump Point, Powered Sites Available, Pets Allowed, Showers, Suitable for Big Rigs/Motorhomes/Caravans, Toilets
Cost:
Unpowered site (CMCA Members) - $15
Unpowered site - $25
Powered site - $40

I have reserved 6 sites. As I don’t know how many are coming could you please ring on the number above and reserve one of the sites. If more than 6 end up travelling then we need to book now as sites can fill up very quickly.

I have reserved 4 powered and 2 unpowered. I have one of the unpowered in my name.
When ringing speak to Sue and tell her you are with the Vintage caravans.

Added 13/4 2023

Ken has suggested that we stay one night at Broken Hill and then two nights at Mt Gipps.
Decisions can be made by travellers as to whether they want to spend two nights at Broken Hill, or two nights at Mt Gipps.

See above

Packsaddle have both powered and unpowered sites available. There is no big event at that time. For unpowered no need to book but we will need you book for powered sites.

Packsaddle Roadhouse
17242 Silvercity Highway,
Packsaddle, NSW,2880.
PH. 0880 912539

Granites Motel/Caravan Park: 08 80 913 305 – sent an email.

The challenge her is that we do not know the road conditions so decisions as to what way we travel, and how (with caravans or without) will be made at packsaddle

The road conditions are unknown at this stage so we may go through White cliffs or back through Broken Hill. Thus this part is left unbooked for the time being.

The road conditions are unknown at this stage so we may go through White cliffs or back through Broken Hill. Thus this part is left unbooked for the time being.

Added 13/4/23.

We will probably have to book into a caravan park as Narromine have no camping facilities at the showground. However, depending on where we are at this stage we may book in, or bypass. Decision to be made after Cameron Corner as to the best way home.

Have contacted organiser of the Caragabal long weekend Camp oven Cookout and bonfire night and they looking forward to welcoming us. NO water, NO power. Toilets only.
Added 13/4/23.

The big event here is the Campo oven cook-off and the bonfire on Sunday night.

Quandialla is a little village south of Caragabal. Great county pub. Will phone ahead from Narromine.

Quandialla Home 222

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Things that need doing now.
1. Book Rutherglen. I have contacted Rutherglen and they have reserved 6 sites for us. Please contact them on 02 6032 8577 and say you are with the Vintage Caravans.
2. Book Mildura - Please contact then directly on 03 5023 0486. And book your site and tell them you are with the vintage caravans
3. Book Broken Hill - Phone 0437 250 286. When ringing speak to Sue and tell her you are with the Vintage caravans.