Propert 70th Anniversary.

This is the place to post a story and photos of your recent getaway in your Historic caravan.
Richard

Propert 70th Anniversary.

Post by Richard »

Prop 70.jpg

Well the 70th anniversary get together at Gundagai has been done and dusted.

We were off to a bit of a shaky start with last minute bearing replacements and tail lights that just didnt want to work, but the biggest worry was the recent rains and flooding in the area and with storms predicted for Saturday and Sunday, it wasnt looking good.
The 4 of us set off on Friday afternoon with a very good run to Gundagai with a couple of 5 minute rain sections along the way but it was all good.
We arrived in the afternoon to find three other Propert vans set up so we were off for some introductions. Graham and Chris had come down from Port Macquarie with their two Propers towed by a Morris and Galant. Douglas was also there with his Woolsley tow car. Glenn who had a last minute decision that he would have his van finished in time so he stayed in our Propert, and not forgetting Bill Propert and his son Tim that had made the trek down also.

Saturday morning was overcast but no rain, so the decision was made to have Bill Propert give a talk on the Propert family history and a show of some of the Propert folding caravan items that he was given by Thomas Propert Jnr. I think I speak for all the attendees that the talk was very interesting and we were all in ore of the items that Bill presented, especially the miniature mock up of the original design for the folding caravan.

Saturday afternoon was left to explore Gundagai at your pleasure as by then some showers had set in, then that night we all set off to the Family Hotel for a meal and a good chat.

Sunday morning Glenn, Bill and Tim set of early as the 4 Properts headed to the Dog on the Tucker box for a photo shoot.
Only drama on the way home was a wait parked on the highway for 1 hour as a wide load truck slowly crawled it way through a road works section of the highway.

So all in all it was a great weekend and I would like to thank those that attended especially Bill and Tim Propert for taking the time to come down, and our thoughts are with the people in flooded areas or that have had their home flooded.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Propert 70th Anniversary.

Post by Richard »

All ready to leave with our storm cover on the top window, just in case. :D

Image 1.jpg

All set up at Gundagai.

Image 2.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Douglas' Propert.

GR 1.jpg
GR 2.jpg

GR 4.jpg
GR 5.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Graham and Chris' Propert number 60.

GC 1.jpg
GC 2.jpg
GC 4.jpg
GC3.jpg
GC5.jpg
GC 6.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

On saturday morning Bill Propert gave us a bit of a run down on the family history and showed us some of the items that he had collected from the original Propert Folding caravan workshop.
It was fantastic to see so much family history and Iam sure Bill and Tim were both amazed with the Propert kitchenware collection that Graham and Chris brought along with them.

T 1.jpg

T 2.jpg

T 3.jpg

Bill with the original Prototype model.

T 4.jpg

The original model from the patent.

T 5.jpg

One of the original artworks for the Propert. Possibly painted by Thomas' Properts sister Dorothy.

T 6.jpg

Propert Kitchenware.jpg

I always wondered about the odd shape of these signs but I think I have solved the puzzel. They look to be the wheel arch off cuts. :D

T 7.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

On Sunday morning the 4 Properts were all set to leave at the same time so we all headed over to the "Dog on the Tuckerbox" for a farewell photo.

DT 1.jpg

DT 2.jpg

DT 3.jpg