Shellharbour 2016

This is the place to post a story and photos of your recent getaway in your Historic caravan.
philmac

Re: Shellharbour 2016

Post by philmac »

thats ok richard youve got me to poke my head out of the worm hole
to be shot at :lol: :lol: id love to be going with reddo but im having
trouble fitting my new first aid kit in ! its only a small van you know!!!
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

It is strongly recommended Mr Reddo that you contact Doctor Phil . His research and medical experiments in the field of Midgey infestation is second to none. He even used his own body as a mobile lab testing various brews, along the way also providing a daily report. I would be surprised if his findings haven`t been published in an eminent medical journal. :D :D :D :D :D :D
philmac

Post by philmac »

thanks for the kind words mr strugglebrook , im glad my sacrifices
for mankind are appreciated. :roll: :roll: :roll:
reddo

Post by reddo »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As it turned out i only made it as far as Karuah when the motor in the u-bewt commodore yoot disintergrated...
Red llights flashing on dash " Check engine" ... So i stopped ... and sure enough there was an engine... :lol:
But it was idling very rough. Checked all the vital fluids and all seemed OK ( at least the EH idiot lights on the dash will tell you what part of the engine is suffering).

Unable to see anything obviuos i turned around and came home at around 50KPH.

Now most people will say thats a hell of a way to avoid midgees.

However.. on arrival home i hired a trailer and loaded the bike on behind the panno. set sail for Hat Head arriving just over 3.5hrs since leaving home... good old panno done it with ease... Not like that late model piece of Sh1t laying in the mechanics at the moment.

Got a call yesterday to say it had done a coil pack on No4... OK .. go ahead and replace the coil pack
2nd call... we have check compression on No4... nothing.... :shock:

OK.... whats it worth to rip the heads off ... service the valves .. replace timing chain while in there???

We will phone you back again shortly !!
3rd call... Hello mr Reddo.. all up you are looking at approx $5000... :o :shock:

I reply.... Will a 186 fit in there i have 3 @ $150 ea...

Thud...

I passed out shortly afterwards...........
Trish woke me up with smelling salts.. have tried all wreckers... apparently a 2010 VE sedan / wagon - L7Y motor is different to a 2010 VU L7Y Ute motor.
wreckers want $1500 when they can get one.. :roll:

So.. engine rebuild on the way...Lots more painfull than any Midgey bite.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reddontbuylatemodelanything
jubbard

Post by jubbard »

gooday reddo

that's a bit reminiscent of the times our ford ute travelled around on the back of a tilt tray.

i wouldn't suggest that your ute should be nicknamed "the blue heeler" because it likes spending time on the back of a truck, that would be toooooo unkind (and, you might recall, that nickname has been used before). :oops: :oops:

sorry to hear about your troubles, i guess you just can't trust these modern cars.

geoff 'n jude
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi G&J

The EH has had 3 motors in 52 years and well up towards 3 ... maybe 400000 miles ( possibly more??) . The engine that was in it when i got it was still healthy..but i wanted a detuned version that didnt need 3 carbys and a lumpy cam..
So really only 1 engine replacement in 52 years

2010 commodore with 120,000 KILOMETRES ( about 70,000 miles) and heading for its second motor in 6 years..
Ummm.... yup.....Give e an ld car any day....
Enough spares in the shed to do me a life time...Most New Old Stock parts still available ... and cheap.
And the big bonus... most ca be replaced on the side of the road with basic hand tools and knowledge in a few hours

Hell.... the "Check Engine "icon doesnt even tell ya what to look for.. is it an oil prob.. is it electrical... is it cooling.. or just pain old fashion mechanical failure.

Ya gotsta wait for the man with the little black lap top to come and stick somethjing up the cars orifice and give ya the bad news.

I am in the wrong game... gunna buy meself a tilt tray truck.... and just hang on the side of the highway this summer waiting for shitbox late model crap to expire !!!

Now if ya will excuse me i am heading for the calamine lotion ... both elbows are now in sheds from scratching the midgey bites ... :x :x :x :x .

Reddouch
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Mr Reddo, You gotsta get Dr Phil to mix up a Hat Head special brew for them there midgey bites.
New cars like old cars, you gotsta walk down and do one operation at a time, not run down and pull it all to bits, just like the old bull and the young bull.
You needs to ship the ute up to Dr Teepower to fix him good.

:D :D :D :D
philmac

Post by philmac »

oooh reddo them medical bills sound a lot more painful than any midgee bite .
hope it all ends well for you and i can see your reasoning on the old stuff,
maybe mr T can do a fly in fly out home call :lol: :lol: :lol:
reddo

Post by reddo »

Thanks for the offer Mr T.
But when you consider a gasket set for the VE is $1000. recond heads , new timing chain ( why did they go to chains instead of belts) and labour for a total cost of near $5000... it makes the complete motor from Narellans spares delivered to the mechanic here in Barnsley for $1500 a better option.

Motor arrives today... in the car by next week ... and most probably on ebay by the floowing week.. i am not a gambler and cant afford to go through this bung fight again any time soon..
Gunna shop for something with a "T"on the bonnet.. and i dont mean T model Ford.

Reddo
jubbard

Post by jubbard »

reddo wrote: Gunna shop for something with a "T"on the bonnet.. and i dont mean T model Ford.
Reddo
good thinking reddo

a diamond t will make a great tow vehicle and shouldn't have any problem pulling the superlite, although it can be a pain finding a suitable parking spot in the city.

geoff 'n jude