2017 Autumn Tour - Gold Fever

Richard

Re: 2017 Autumn Tour - Gold Fever

Post by Richard »

Did you say FJ HOLDENS Reddo?

Might have to change the trip plans and go straight to Batlow! :D :D :D
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Richard..

I would like a penny for every "lead" we get on old cars, vans, bikes, buses and trucks we get while on these tours... I would be rich.
Its all part of the touring fun.
A lot of people spend days web crawling sites like ebay, Gumtree etc looking for bits and pieces or complete cars , bikes etc.. me included... but its when you are out and about in or on your classic car or old bike ... or even just wearing your favourite old T shirt to the pub with Norton or Holden .. or Ford on it , that you get people coming up to you with snippets of info on old stuff that sometimes.. with a bit of follow up turns into "Gold"... :lol: :D ;)

Just one of the benefits of enjoying our hobby and getting out and about.
Cheers
Reddo

Oh.. yeah... on a different note... Keeping in the hillbilly / prospector scheme of things....Thinkin about having a fancy dress " Hoe down " on saturday night at Yackandandah... anyone interested???.. anyone know of a jug band down that way that we can hire in for the evening :D

OH double Yeah.. whilst googling things to do around Yackandandah / Beechworth i cam across this little gem... i reckon i might find out what happened to some of my relos here ????
http://www.explorebeechworth.com.au/tou ... 04/04/2017

Reddo
wildbrumby

Post by wildbrumby »

Hi reddo and Richard

Don't laugh, I used to work there!!! As did my mum, my sister, and most of the townsfolk. I can tell you a story or two about the "residents" of the asylum. Beechworth is my home town. I worked in Tanswells Commercial Hotel when I was 17 yrs old and saved for my first car whilst working there. I brought my first 1964 Holden EH Premier sedan from the money I saved. A friend, as most of my friends worked there, asked if I would like to go on a cruise. It was the cruise or the EH. You can guess what I spent my money on. I got my licence in Beechworth. Back in the day, it was a quick trip around the block, a handbrake start on the asylum hill, and back to the police station for that beautiful piece of paper. Next day I drove all the way to Adelaide. Bugger the cruise. My middle name is Gypsy, like most of us.

I can't wait to meet you all and give you heaps of information on the area, from Tumut, all the way to Yackandandah where my dear mum resides in the High Care Nursing Home. Pubs, coffee shops, op shops, just ask me.

I was in Tumut yesterday and drove around taking photos of all the old vans and cars sitting under trees and yards. Just so I can show you while your in Tumut.

I spoke with Alby in Batlow and he is keen to meet you all. He is always working on an old car. He certainly has some old collectables in his garage. There is ample parking right across the road. Park like setting with bench seats, shade trees etc for the vans to pull in.

Thanks for accepting me into your great site.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

wildbrumby
wildbrumby

Post by wildbrumby »

Hi Richard
Just wondering if there are any stickers left? If so, could I order 2. Please let me know where I can pay. I brought your calendar this year, is it the same account? Also I'll order one of the t-shirts. L size please.

Regards

wildbrumby
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi WB..
Welcome to the OTP forum... and .. the 2017 OTP vintage van tour.
From what info i have at hand i think you are the 19th person to sign up for the tour.. :shock:

Gunna be a bit of a handfull getting all those vans up and over those twisty mountain roads.. :?:
However.... from what i have noticed over the past 10 years of running these tours .. people have different "Get up" times.. some like to sleep in.. some like to get up pre dawn for a cuppa and then a bit of brekky .. then hit the road early...
Others like a sleep in and a slow start to the day.

So.. with everyone having different "Migratory habits" between destinations we dont get a log jam of cars and vans on the roads.
By lunchtime we are scattered all along the trail.. sightseeing, shopping or simply taking a break to goof off in a town .
Thank you very much for having a yarn with Alby.. i am sure most people will be keen to have a look at his cars as well as checking out Tumut, Batlow , Tumbarumba on the way to Jingellic.

Cheers for now
Reddo.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi wildbrumby.
2 of the stickers should be OK, unfortunately I have finalised the order for tshirts a week or 2 ago so I cant change the order now. BUT I may have a couple of extras so Ill see whats left.
Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
jennison

Post by jennison »

G'day Reddo and fellow 2017ATGV tourers, yes my wife has been to the asylum (that sounds dubious don't it) and HIGHLY recommends it...also Beechworth honey as well. I'm thinking prior to Jingellic we all need to buy a bag Of firewood as well..it was picked clean last time and we were lucky we had our Cooma sourced supplies! Anyone bringing a firebrazier? as I'll wander round the paddock and gather some wood and we can have a fire at Gunning at the Showground Anzac nite as well
Jenno
wildbrumby

Post by wildbrumby »

Richard wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 pm Hi wildbrumby.
2 of the stickers should be OK, unfortunately I have finalised the order for tshirts a week or 2 ago so I cant change the order now. BUT I may have a couple of extras so Ill see whats left.
Cheers.
Richard.
Hi Richard

Thanks.

wildbrumby
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Jennison..
Yep , yep..firewood is definitely a must bring.

People can either pack a milk crate or a brattice bag full of hardwood at home and bring with em. or....for around $10 you can by a bag of wood at most of the servos along the way..It isnt that much extra weight to lug along.
If 16 vans arrrive with at least some wood at the free camps we will have more than enough to keep us warm for the night.
Wasnt sure if Gunning allowed campfires ... but we will take your word for it.
If they have a major fireworks night there i would imagine they would allow campfires.
I will pack the chainsaw and fuel... do a bit of roadside scrounging for firewood like i did on the last snowys tour.. ;) .. will also bring a firebrazier 8-)

Camp kitchens are nice for night time gatherings .. but they just aint as good as a night spent around the bushmans TV ( Fire)
Will ring the van parks and see if they allow fires ? also ask if the locals sell trailer loads of wood ( like at Colac Colac) works out about $10 per van and ya get a whole trailer load to burn .!!!
I have fond memories of the nights spent around the fires at Cooma, Porepunkah bridge, Jingellic and Colac Colac on the last snowys tour.. :D :D

Cheers mate
Reddo
wildbrumby

Post by wildbrumby »

Hi Reddo

I will be supplying some wood for the night at Jingellic for all to share. Can bring some down from the farm at Mannus.

cheers

wildbrumby