NRMA Veteran, Vintage & Classic Insurance for caravan.

griffin

NRMA Veteran, Vintage & Classic Insurance for caravan.

Post by griffin »

I've just received paperwork for my various vehicles covered by NRMA Veteran, Vintage and Classic Insurance, almost a ream of paper I should add.

I've never had a problem insuring the old vans so I was surprised that a separate envelope contained a letter advising "Due to a change in our Veteran, Vintage & Classic vehicle guidelines, we are unable to continue to insure the above caravan under a Veteran, Vintage & Classic vehicle motor policy."

The above van in this case is the 1950s Homebuilt Bondwood. I queried it today and they just pretty much quote the above when the consultant rang. I didn't actually manage to find out it was because it was a Homebuilt or because it was a caravan on a club plate.

I'll be interested to see what others may find with a van on a club plate if they are with NRMA when renewal time comes.

Just when I had all my policies with the one company, might have to change them all again!?

You really can't figure their logic. When I recently insured the 1962 Carapark Astronaut the main question was if was Australian built. The question was asked several times and they even then had to check it would be covered, which they did. So I had to ask the question "What if it wasn't Australian made?" "We wouldn't insure it." was the reply. For the life of me I can't understand why, surely it would be easier to get parts for a modern imported van than an Aussie one that has been out production for 50 years. I wouldn't have been surprised if they just said take a hike, GIO did years ago when I tried to insure a 30 year old car, and later they just hung up on me when I tried to insure a much younger one imported from NZ which was never sold here. In fact they hung up when I rang back too, such cheek!!

George - with the soon to be uninsured bondwood!!
DC3TD

Re: NRMA Veteran, Vintage & Classic Insurance for caravan.

Post by DC3TD »

Hi George. If all else fails you could ring Barry at RYNO Insurance on 0466 350 728 preferably after 5pm as he gets pretty busy during his normal duties.(nothing to stop you ringing during business hours really I guess though) You can mention me as I used to work at same car auction house. Matter of fact I called in there & chatted with him/others only yesterday. gordo
BlueBird

Post by BlueBird »

Wow, that's bizarre!!!

I have all my insurances with NRMA - Home, Contents, Boat, 2 Greenslips, 2 cars (including one classic), 3 caravans (including one classic and two vintage).

Our latest acquisition is our 1946 Homemade that was just purchased on 7th May this year and insured with no worries with NRMA.

Hopefully they will continue to insure us.

Maybe you should ring again to see if they will give you a new policy? Worth a try. Don't think that they would want to loose all that business from you.

Monica
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Monica

I think the issue with my van is that it is on a 'club plate', my other two vans are fine but they are fully registered.

I might give them a call, phone has just been fixed after the rain. I dealt with a consultant at the office the other day, very helpful but no help if you know what I mean.

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi George..
How odd is that :?:
I would have thought that a vehicle, be it.. vintage van.. car.. bike or whatever would be a safer "risk" for the insurance company than a fully registered vehicle that was on the road everyday of the week ??

As I have been saying for at least the past ten years here on these forums .. It will be interesting to see just how a policy holder with a vintage van will get on if ...and god forbid.. WHEN.. one of us make a claim against our chosen insurer for accident damage to our van. :?:
With all the uncertainty amongst the insurance co consultants.. the difference between getting your van repaired .. or a total loss payout could be who picks up the phone at the other end when you initially make contact to make the claim :shock:

Its pretty plain to see that there is no set in stone information re Vintage van policies available at ANY of the insurance companies... Bit of Russian Roulette when you pick up the phone...You are likely to get anything from a warm fuzzy experience to... the operator hanging up on you in mid conversation!!!

Cheers.. oh... and good luck.
Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

I would say that the NRMA has changed the "guidelines of their policy" on vans with club plates with the change that some people have opted for the 60 day log book.
Hasnt affected my vans on full rego either.
Cheers.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

I've been on the phone half the morning to sort out some insurance, after firstly contacting NRMA to get a better explanation. NRMA have reviewed their VV & C Insurance guidelines and are now only insuring cars and bikes on 'Club Plates'. I could inure it under the regular caravan insurance it seems but with no discount for limited club useage. So it's all to do with it being on a 'Club Plate'.

For DC3TD, your mate is no longer acting as a RYNO rep. I contacted them and GIO, the latter decline anything over 30 years old and put me onto CIL who have given me a quote a little higher than RYNO. It'll get sorted eventually.

George