Reddos 1960 Supalite Atlas Resto

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
reddo

Re: Reddos 1960 Supalite Atlas Resto

Post by reddo »

Ok .. Part 2 of todays installment..
( Go back to page 8 last post for 1st installment today.. I just dont trust dodgey forums that can lock you out halfway through typing up a message.. Its probably my fault.. i type too slow.. :roll: )

I revisited the local van repairer / wreckers at Redhead.. scored a 36 lamp round / flat LED light for $30 amongst the 2nd hand stuff.. not 2nd hand .. just lost its packaging . they had reduced it to $45 Half price..... i haggled and got it for $30.00 ...so 1/3 rd of its normal price.
Truth be known they are probably only $30 brand new ... anyway.. i think i got a bargain :roll:
Again .. the issue of single skin raised its ugly head... how do you drill into 3 ply and hold a light on the ceiling?
Also had the issue of no room for joins in the wires behind the fitting??
Answer.. make a base
a smear of liquid nails on its back and pin nail it to the existing exposed roof batterns
A coat of under coat and a top coat and up she went.

Later that day i found out that a local electrical wholesaler was having a sale. Lights from $1.00.!!!
So off i scootered ...Came away from there with enough lights to light up Newcastle for around $50...
twin LED bed lamps for $10.. small square stainless single LED lamps for $1.00,, will use the 50mm square small lamps for step well lights.
2 lamps X12 watt slimline fluro for above the sink.. $10.00
1 x 18 watt 240 v fluro $10.00
Also picked up a new smoke detector at Gosford swap... bloke was selling em for $2.00 ea still in packaging including 9 V battery.. took a gamble ... it works perfect. and is now mounted on the timber base where the old 240V back light was .
End result
There will never be a dark / dull moment in the van.. !!
Cleaned up the old external Oyster light.. and got it up and running. It has provision for a 12Volt lamp.. just gotta find a lamp holder and get it working in the fitting..

Todays project is setting up the battery under the bed bases ( yeh yeh.. righto... this time i will remember to put a fuse in the circuit.. Who could forget the Chaffey Dam inferno that broke out in "Rosie van "on one of the tours years ago.. :lol: ) .. and maybe build the base in the wardrobe for the 240v / 12 v 35 Litre Engel fridge.. yep... second fridge . The main one is only 240V so need one mounted somewhere near the battery to use when free camping... i suppose it really is the 3rd fridge as i have one permamently mounted in the back of the panno.. Lotsa options for keeping the coldies cold.. 8-) ;)

:idea: Before the decision was made to fit a fridge in the wardrobe i was considering setting up a portaloo in there.. :roll: :idea: .. However.. if i "missed" i might have given the wardrobe contents a bit of a soak,,,, :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ... So.. decided to abandon that idea. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Strugglebrook.... No 3rd Supalite at the Murrurundi Supalite Nationals

Slowly slowly the do-do builds his van !!

Reddo
Last edited by reddo on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Huge progress Reddo.Real smart looking van & a credit to its builder.Oh, you did it? Well done then. lol gordo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Shame, would have been a standout at the nationals. :D :D :D :D :D :D
aquamum

Post by aquamum »

Reddo

How fabulous is my old girl looking, you've done marvels with her !!!

Love all the work you've done so far.

Keep up the brilliant job and I'll see you at Murrurundi :)
reddo

Post by reddo »

:D Hi Aquamum..
Yep.... thanks for that..
Its been a bit of a journey , but thankfully all the work that you and the family put into "Merle" before i bought her my job has been made so much easier. When you go back to the original story of when you bought the Supalite and look at the photos and the condition it was in back then, I doubt if i would have tackled it if i was you.

The biggest problem i have at the moment is fighting the urge to rush things and get it ready for Murrurundi. But i have tempered that urge by realising i have years of enjoyment ahead of me in the van.. so no need to make a mess of things by rushing... i can make a mess of things even when i take my time ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had a scout around the big green bargain barn the other day and bought a pair of 180 X 150 X 25mm silver aluminium venetians.
Bunged them up on sunday..

This van is the first one i have owned that is 2 metres wide. I wouldnt of been able to fit em in any of the other smaller vans i had.. except maybe Matilda.

Fiddled on and made a battery bracket , wired in a an isolator switch through the face of the bed base so i dont have to lift the access lid under the matteress to shut off the 12 volt when getting ready travel.

:idea: ..Will probably end up running charging circuit via an Anderson plug from the car to the van battery . Just gotta check with an Auto lecko to see how to wire it into the existing 2 battery set up i have in the car already for the Engel fridge. The old HZ Alternator might protest having to charge 3 batteries at one time :?:

Still got heaps to do in the van... fly screens, curtains , hatch , hatch flyscreen ,etc

More later

Reddo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

I am confused :?: :?: The Supalite, a fantastic job, and I have been lucky enough to see progress in the flesh , I mean plywood. No confusion there. The bit about years and years of enjoyment ahead !!
That is not a Reddo statement !! Can only be two scenario`s here.
Reddo you have bumped your head, please get Trish to take you to the Doctors. Or you are not the real Reddo !!
The real Reddo restores old caravans into works of art done up beautify , does a Tour and moves them on. None of that sentimental crap, that`s for punters like me. I`m not complaining as we have
the last Supalite which I will keep till I`m in the box.
So hopefully there will be 2 Supalites touring around the country side for many years to come.

JD.
humpyboy

Post by humpyboy »

Shite look who's on-line :o , yes I'm still about and lurking, reading posts by stealth :roll: and just had to stop by and give you a big high five on your efforts, love your work Reddo the van is looking great and it will only get greaterer as you near completion, I do have one concern however :? , No injuries to report? if not you have done ever better than I thought :lol: keep up the good work mate as I take inspiration and hints for that day I begin on my project.
If you get an email telling you that you can catch Swine Flu from tins of ham then delete it, it's Spam.
reddo

Post by reddo »

:roll:
JD made comment...
."The real Reddo restores old caravans into works of art done up beautify , does a Tour and moves them on. None of that sentimental crap "

The only reason that happens is because i get constantly "white anted" or should that be "pestered" by certain tourers :roll: wanting to buy the vans off me. :lol:
Looking back over the years and the vans that i have tidied up or built from scratch ... i think it all boils down to the fact that i enjoy working on the old darlings ( especially plywood.. and even more so.. one off homebuilts from the 40s and 50s ) as much as i enjoy using them 8-) .

I also get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction from seeing the new owners out enjoying themselves and the van on tours and getogethers....aint that what vintage vanning is all about???
No good mothballing the bloody things.... or finishing them and just sitting admiring your handiwork...They where built to be rolling down the road .

As most of you know i also enjoy scrounging up vintage motorcycles.... and the same scenario applies there... My bro shakes his head when he sees a nice old bike i have rebuilt of got running again being sold off. If i am guilty of anything ... i am guilty of putting a lot of people into old vans and on to old bikes that probably wouldnt have got involved in these hobbies if it was left to them to source an old van or bike and do it up themselves...

So... if that is a crime... well then .. i stand guilty as charged your honour. ;)

G'Day Humpboy.. Long time no hear !!
I hope you have conquered your old ailments and are travelling well these days. :?:
Not too sure why there has been no bloodletting on the Supalite... I must be slowing up a bit... its either that or... all the tools in the shed of invention have become blunt or rounded off and therefore incapable of "drawing Claret" from within.. ;)
I hope to catch up with you again at one of the van events.. until then stay happy .. stay healthy !!

Regards
Reddo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Guilty as charged :D :D :D :D :D

JD.
iluvans

Post by iluvans »

LOL :lol: