Hobby Caravans by Jack Vincer Belmont NSW

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Stephen4Julie

Hobby Caravans by Jack Vincer Belmont NSW

Post by Stephen4Julie »

Well have purchased a new species, this is one of five built by an cabinet maker from Belmont NSW who’s name was Jack Vincer, this diamond patterned number from the mid sixties with a Jones dolly wheel was purchased by a friend along with another one which is a 1975 Model and came with a Jones dolly wheel, he believes there are two more that he is aware of, one around the mid north coast and one further south, leaving one unknown, apparently Jack made 5 vans over 20 years as a hobby, they are really well made with a nice finish to the interior and well thought thru bits and pieces.

This is the 1975 caravan by Jack Vinger with Jones dolly wheel

Cheers Stephen4Julie
Last edited by Stephen4Julie on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC3TD

Re: Hobby Caravans by Jack Vinger Belmont NSW

Post by DC3TD »

Certainly knew his craft.Great design.Plus the mandatory EJ Holden tail lights! (First pic). Very nice.
Stephen4Julie

Re: Hobby Caravans by Jack Vincer Belmont NSW

Post by Stephen4Julie »

Hi,
Well new tyre’s all round including the little 8’’ on the dolly and a good clean to check out what’s going on, note the slight damage on the door side the van was dragged out of a burning shed, few melted clearance lights but not to bad. The dolly wheel really feels comfortable when towing.

Happy Holidays All
Cheers S4J
Last edited by Stephen4Julie on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen4Julie

Post by Stephen4Julie »

New paint job, ready for xmas

Cheers S4J
Last edited by Stephen4Julie on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi S4J
Wow great van. For a hobby Jack certainly knew how to build a van.
How did you go towing with the Jones Dolly Wheel? Our Jennison has one and it is great to tow with, although I was a little apprehensive about it at first.
If you need parts for the dolly I can put you in contact with the man that used to build them. :D :D
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
murray

Post by murray »

Richard wrote:Hi S4J

If you need parts for the dolly I can put you in contact with the man that used to build them. :D :D ::D
should be right then ! Lifetime warranty :D :D :D
Nice score ,Stephen and Julie .That yard must be overflowing.
Stephen4Julie

Post by Stephen4Julie »

Hi All,
You said it Richard, was the same when it came to towing my first Jones Dolly Wheel, but to my surprise it cruises along fantastically, have already been talking to Ray and Merl about all the in's and out's of the Dolly, such nice people couldn't be more helpful, as you said this bloke built a solid van, foot pump for the sink, good cabinetry, just a good solid thing. :)
Cheers S4J
Last edited by Stephen4Julie on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boblor

Post by boblor »

Hi Stephen
This would be great van to keep in your fleet. Why not clean it up and bring to SWR for an outing I am sure it draw alot of interest.
Cheers boblor
Hughdeany

Post by Hughdeany »

Hi all,
Love these home made well made vans that seem to appear from time to time,it seems the builders went that little bit further to make an interesting van.
Cheers
hughdeany
Stephen4Julie

Post by Stephen4Julie »

OK, sitting contemplating today(should be working..ha) you will notice I have found his name was Vincer not Vinger from Belmont NSW, I checked white pages and found no Vinger in the area so I rechecked an ad that came with the van and found a C not G, ok bear with me, so the first call found his cousin who said that Jack passed away some years ago so he gave me Jacks daughters number so I spent an hour learning about the man that built these vans..so good.. wait theres more...they all used the vans and passed them on to other family members until finally they left the family......except for the first one he built in the late 50's which his great niece still has....you can guess the rest, spoke to her today as well and she will forward photos and we will go from there. Note: they were all built with a Jones Dolly Wheel... should have been a private detective..ha, will post pics soon. Jack was a self taught carpenter/joiner mainly doing house windows out of his joinery in Belmont and the occasional caravan.

Cheers Stephen4Julie