Jo's Tilly

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
bluetangjo

Jo's Tilly

Post by bluetangjo »

I bought Tilly about 5yrs ago (long before I had heard of “vintage vans”) because I liked the look of her, loved the oregon ply roof, & could imagine doing her up to suit my needs & taste. From what I know now, I paid far too much for her, but I'd been previously looking at Avans, so it seemed like a good deal to me. Then from more lack of knowledge I spent up big getting her undercarriage upgraded....that being a saga in itself, still ongoing & still not working properly. :x

I was told by her previous owner that she was built in 1964. My guess is that she is a “homemade”.

She was originally bondwood, but somewhere along the line she got clad in aluminium. I actually think that this has made the bondwood rot faster rather than slower, because its trapping moisture in. One day I'd like to release her from her metal corset & return her to bondwood splendour.

Still heaps to do on her ie finish painting outside trim, replace warped door etc. Plus I keep getting new ideas about the inside. I've redone the “kitchen” twice, & am in the process of working out how to put in a washing area.

Some pics pre restoration
old tilly back port.jpg
old tilly back stbd.jpg
old tilly front port.jpg
bluetangjo

Re: Jo's Tilly

Post by bluetangjo »

Some post 'restoration' pics
tilly kitch mid stbd.jpg
tilly bed back stbd.jpg
tilly seat front stbd.jpg
bluetangjo

Post by bluetangjo »

tilly mid port.jpg
The black thing is a drum, not a porta potty! :roll:
Attachments
tilly roof.jpg
bluetangjo

Post by bluetangjo »

tilly st albans1a.jpg
tilly st albans2a.jpg
tilly&friend.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Jo and welcome to ourtouringpast.com.
What a great little van you have, and Im sure it keeps you busy with upgrades, Its not so much of you paid too much for it, but it more of the pleasure it brings. I am always glad to see these vans on the road and being used for what they were intended.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.