NSW Historic Plate 60 day trial.

The place to talk about anything not relating to Historic Caravans or Holdens.
griffin

NSW Historic Plate 60 day trial.

Post by griffin »

For NSW residents with cars, bikes or vans, on Historic Plates an item appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on 4-9-15 with the Roads Minister, Duncan Gay, announcing a two-year trial for 60 days general use outside club events for historic vehicles under 3.5t. This would be similar to the scheme in SA and Vic. using a log book. It is an option, with details at this site http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registr ... icles.html where you can email an expression of interest.
An automated response with details will be returned.

A great idea in my view and I've put in an EOI, bring it on!! It will be interesting to see what eventuates.

If they don't get enough interest it might not eventuate so put in an EOI if it is to your interest and liking.

George
Richard

Re: NSW Historic Plate 60 day trial.

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Thanks for the heads up. Done mine. ;) ;)
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

I've had word that this scheme is up and running and this site http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/registr ... trial.html seems to answer all the questions.
Happy Days :)

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

I've had confirmation that the system is up and going so if your club has decided to opt in and you want the 60 days then get in and give it a try. You don't have to take it up if you don't want to.
I would inform my insurance company but so far the two I know have been contacted were not concerned.

I'll put two of my club cars on, for the bit of use I give the club plated van it can probably stay the way it is. I'll consider further.

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi George

4 out of the 5 local Vintage bike clubs have voted against signing up for the logbook trial.
Reason being that they see the likelyhood of an influx of "New members"wanting to join the club.. and have no interest in the actual club itself.. just an avenue to get cheap rego and access to the 60 day scheme.

Most of the clubs have the same issue as the one i am in ...
People join and we dont see them from one year to the next... only time they surface is to get thier bike examined for rego. We have had several confrontations with these types over using there bikes during the week to ride to work .. or going on runs that arent gazetted on our runs and events calender.

I know it is "Crystal balling "to say that we would get an influx of new members wanting to join simply to get access to the logbooks.... but if we keep the club system the way it currently is , it will be much easier to manage ..and keep the club a club rather than a "drop in branch of the RMS for the logbook system"and us having to police the system.

Reddo
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo

I disagree with your reasoning on this. Since the 60 days came in we have not had one new member join and put a car on 60 days. What we have had though is a member from up your way with bikes who put them on our plates, along with his existing car, so he can use them, as the local clubs were "messing about." It was actually a bit courser than that! And a bloke from a local club who changed clubs because his didn't opt in.

I've been the Plate Registrar of our club for 35 years or so and the 60 days is great from my point of view, and the clubs, as we don't have to know where or when a vehicle is being used or for what, it's totally up to the member to just complete the log book and go where they like. Any abuse of the system is totally between the member and the constabulary or RMS, not our problem.

There will always be, and always has been, members of clubs who are just members and you can't make them into 'doers' or participators . If they only want the 60 days then so be it, so far they aren't knocking the door down. Our club offers only one day a year for inspections of club plated vehicles and outside that it's off for a pink slip, no problem for the club, we don't chase around to do inspections, if new ones don't avail themselves of the opportunity to do a pro-rata on their initial registration to fall in line with our date then they miss out.

I do know that if our club hadn't opted into the scheme then a couple of my cars would have been registered with another club I belong to that had opted in. Of the 5 clubs to which I belong only 2 haven't opted in, exactly as I expected. One because no one really uses their cars anyway and more often than not go out in a 'modern', and the other because there are too many old control freaks running it who want to tell other people what they can do!

Anyway, just my thoughts, I don't have to sell the scheme to anyone and I'm happy to use it, and I'm sure it will be sticking about, and I don't think there will be an option in the end - all on 60 days, you don't have to use it, but I'd bet most be people will if they have it.

I took a car out today for a drive, because I could, and it will be off in the country this weekend, again, because I can. An upside for me is I'm finding I use the '37 (not on 60 days) more for club runs as I've had other opportunities to drive the other two. I'm loving it.

The sky won't fall!

George