Matilda

For Sale and Wanted of Historic Caravans or Early Holden Items.
reddo

Matilda

Post by reddo »

Hi All
I will be listing "Matilda" the 1954 Bondwood on ebay this evening.
Starting price will be $8500 with no reserve.
Its on full NSW registration until 13/5/2015
If you are interested in the van and would like to know more please phone me on 0401070541.
Regards
Reddo
DC3TD

Re: Matilda

Post by DC3TD »

Darn shame you won`t be waltzing with Matilda anymore Reddo.But i guess you`ve got other stuff to occupy your mind & shed.Great van,hope some one comes along who`ll look after her. gordo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Gordon

Selling due to need for bucks to finance another resto project.
I am currently building a slide on camper for a lady I do traffic control work for. Nearing completion.
Will start a thread on that shortly.
I also have the motor out of the panelvan. fully recond motor used 5 litres of oil to drive to the QLD border and back on the Australia day weekend ..scores on crank where rear main seal runs.. Its just come back from the engine reco mob.. so that has to go back in the car.

Have had the motor apart on the 1940 BSA side car outfit to replace burnt valves . The wifes 1934 BSA is just back together after another engine rebuild... trying to find time to start and run it

Also have been working in with the rest of our family to move mum from her unit over into respite care.
25 years of collecting furniture in the unit ... liasing with relos .. who wants what??. moving it to our houses and then getting the sallys in to take the rest. Making sure mum settles into her new digs !!

Plenty on the go...

Will soldier on with the genuine replica 1934 Teardrop for now.
See elsewhere for slide on build shortly.
Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Matilda is a great van Reddo and she has had her fair share of the lime light as well from paintings to calendars and biscuit tins.
Bet your sad to see her go. :cry: :cry:
Cheers.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Richard

Yep .. the old girl has seen her fair share of exposure in magazines, jigsaw puzzles, prints, even easter eggs mugs!!
If all goes well with the auction she might be getting a lot more adulation. ;)
Matilda and I had a visit this morning from the owners of "Lost in the 50's" motor museum.
They are keen to give her a loving home in the foyer of the museum.

I coyley asked about her intended use :roll: .. and was assured she will not be modified into a hamburger stand :D They asked about a "Buy It Now" price but in all fairness to others watching/intending bidding.. I refused to be drawn in to selling her any other way than ebay auction.

I must be the only person in Newcastle that hasn't visited the museum since it opened about 6 years ago. Only 3k away.... aren't I slack!!
If Matilda ends up in the foyer up at the museum then I will have no excuse not to go and visit her on the odd occasion. 8-)
Regards
Reddo
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo

Sad in a way if Matilda goes into retirement after such a long and colourful career but I suppose she will be preserved for posterity and might even finish up back on active duty sometime down the track.

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi George
If Matilda doesn't sell I wont be too concerned. She will still see active duty every now and again if she stays here. She was our second van, The first being a little 9 footer Walsh van called "Just Croozn".
After owning a string of bondwoods "Matilda" stands out from the others as far as quality of interior finish... but runs a poor third or fourth when it comes to practical layout and functionality inside.

"Rosie" the little 9 foot van gets first prize for "Towability"( only outdone by the Teardrops) and layout with the front kitchen and excellent cupboard space etc.. A close second was the Supalite "Old Blue".. light and well behaved behind the towcars at 100kph. and a good functional cooking.. sleeping .. storage layout.

After 10 years of vintage vanning I guess I just haven't come across a van that gets 10 out or 10 in all categories.

The guys from Lost in the 50s seem well versed in vintage caravans. They have several vans in storage.. mainly 1950s American vans they have imported.
They showed me a few pictures .

Hmmmm... perhaps I should have quizzed then about a swap for a tidy Airstream or a big 'murican V8 pick up truck or towcar?? :D

They have invited me and Trish to have a look around the museum this Sunday ( maybe part of the "softening ready for Matilda sale negotiations") ... but as usual... I have a vintage bike run on and wouldn't get back to the museum until around 3.00pm.. closing time :cry:

Meanwhile 1270 views 164 watchers on Matilda....who knows ... there might just be a buyer amongst the voyuers ;)

Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi

It is with a heavy heart ( and wallet ;) ) that I announce that Matilda D Fairway will be heading to Sydney to live with her new owners Rebecca and Scott. 8-)
I had concerns that she may become part of their business..
"Double Roasters" in Marrickville.. a Coffee shop :roll: .
But a brief conversation with the new owners has confirmed that is not the case.
I am not 100%certain what "The case" may be just yet.. used as a vintage van... spare room.. promotion for café".
Will investigate further when Rebecca comes to collect Matilda this Thursday and report back here...
Stay Tuned.
Reddo
sunny62

Post by sunny62 »

Hi Reddo,
Funny thing I was visiting Sydney from Qld last week and spotted Matilda going along King Street Newtown. Hope she is happy on her new home,
Cheers
Julie