Info on humpyboy

The place to talk about anything not relating to Historic Caravans or Holdens.
humpyboy

Info on humpyboy

Post by humpyboy »

G'day one and all,Just thought I would stop by to inform those that do not know about my recent issues and to update those that do, I have recently been diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus,Yeah!!! thus far all the scans and tests that I have had have come back negative and nothing can be found anywhere else in the body so it is well contained and from all reports can be cured with the surgery they are planing for me in the new year, I am currently waiting to hear back from Peter Mac as to when they want me in for a CT scan to take precise measurements as to it's location in preparation for Radiation, this will take place five days a week with Chemo one day a week for five weeks after which I will have a 4 to 6 week break then surgery followed by some more Chemo. As strange as it may sound I am in good spirits and am not at all concerned with my predicament, it is what it is and we need to deal with it like we would anything else put before us, the only upside has been a loss of weight and more to loose yet so I'll soon be a slim Jim like I was in my younger days, any one want to buy some fat clothes? :lol: will drop by from time to time to update anyone who cares to whatch this thread as to my progress, for now all is well and I believe it to be so into the future all be it with a few hurdles to leap over on the way.
If you get an email telling you that you can catch Swine Flu from tins of ham then delete it, it's Spam.
DC3TD

Re: Info on humpyboy

Post by DC3TD »

Gday Humpy.I suppose there are moments you wish you were emailed it was swine flu - at least you could delete it. Keep your chin up as we know you are anyways. gordon
humpyboy

Post by humpyboy »

Had my scan today and am now all marked and measured for treatment, it starts on Nov 5th, chemo in the morning with radiation in the arvo, every Wednesday will be like this with just radiation on the other 4 days, this will continue for 5 weeks then a rest of 6 weeks before surgery.
If you get an email telling you that you can catch Swine Flu from tins of ham then delete it, it's Spam.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Humpyboy
I can speak for all of the forum members in saying that we are sorry to hear of your news. I know the next few weeks will be tough but keep your chin up and we wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to having you well and back on the forum again. Besides you are a bit like me and have too many restoration projects to be ill. :D :D
We will all be thinking of you Derk.
Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Humpyboy.

Mate... what can I say...... :shock:
???
I reckon if you stick with the attitude you have taken up until now you will breeze through the Chemo and ops.

Keep ya chin up old sock and do as the docs tell ya to. Hands off the nurses .. but.. they tell me the perving is good for the soul :lol: .. it has healing qualities ;)

Wishing you all the best .....with a speedy recovery mate. ;)
We are all thinking of you.

Regards
Old mate Reddo
humpyboy

Post by humpyboy »

Well I had my first day yesterday, 4 hrs of Chemo in the morning with no reaction what so ever to the treatment followed by Radiation in the arvo, only being the first day I pulled up quite well at days end so went off in the evening to my car club meeting it's now the next day and feeling well, only Radiation for the next 4 days then Chemo again next Wednesday, I wont bother with daily updates perhaps just once a week or so, at least that way you all know I'm still above ground :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

Glad all is going well.
Dont for get to keep us posted.
Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
humpyboy

Post by humpyboy »

Well here we are at the end of week Two, had a second lot of Chemo plus the daily Radiation and still no side effects all is good thus far, probably feel better now than before I began treatment so it must be doing something good, I can't understand what all the fuss is over this Chemo and Radiation even my hair is still in place, I believe the unnecessary stress that some people put themselves under has a lot to do with the outcome of treatment, as I have said to many people "why worry and stress over it as it isn't going to help one little bit" just get on with what the doctors tell you and take one day at a time, all is good.
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Humpyboy

Pleased to hear things are going well for you. 8-)

I have a mate that has had a stack of melanomas cut off him over the years...
Last one was in behind his left ear. they cut him down to his shoulder blade and out to his shoulder. 8 weeks of 20 min sessions each day. :(
His face and neck where bright red for weeks and he couldn't taste food !!!

Me and all of his work mates thought he wasn't going to get through the treatment ....but..
To look at him now 6 months on, you wouldn't think he had even had an operation. Taste is back and neck has healed well.. he is 55.

His head looks like a half peeled spud. :lol: :lol: chunks off his nose.. tops of his ears plus a couple of divets here and there form ops years ago..
Old surfer from way back.... no zinc cream etc.

Hard way to learn lifes lessons... but... he... like you are made of the right stuff...
"Positive attitude".. one of the biggest healers of all. ;)
Keep up the good fight mate.

Regards
Reddo
humpyboy

Post by humpyboy »

God this is boring, almost at the end of week 3 and still nothing to report just keep feeling better each day, even put on 1.5 kg in the last week, fat bastard that I am :lol: everyone who is looking after me are amazed at how I'm doing and are very happy with my progress.