Shellharbour 2014.

This is the place to post a story and photos of your recent getaway in your Historic caravan.
Richard

Shellharbour 2014.

Post by Richard »

Joshua and I have just got back from another great weekend organised by Geoff and Jude, this was the first time that they had organised a weekend at the Shellharbour Beach Caravan Park, and I must say it was great.
The weather was OK as we didnt get any rain during the day although it did get a little cold and windy in the late afternoons, which did stop everyone from gathering in a big group, as most people headed off into small groups to the shelter of annexes.

There are a few updates on the ourtouringpast facebook page HERE and I will download more photos and video footage in the next day or two.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Shellharbour 2014.

Post by Richard »

OK, OK. I have had a couple of emails wanting to see some photos.
So here is a selection to keep you going till I download more.

This shot is looking South along Shellharbour beach.
SH 1.JPG
Still looking South with the continental baths and the caravan park behind.
SH 2.JPG
Now here are a few photos in no particular order.
SH 3.JPG
SH 4.JPG
This was the first time I had met the couple that own this little Atlantic, and it is a well used and loved little caravan. Iam sorry that I didnt take the time to take a few interior shots of this little van as I later found out that some "vintage caravan critic" told them in no uncertain terms that he was wasting his time taking photos of this van. :evil: :evil:
SH 6.JPG
Col

Post by Col »

Hi Richard, seems some folks can't help being judgemental....it was good to catch up with you everybody else who were there, it's a neat spot but WINDY! ,cheers, Col.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Col.
Hope you got home OK, and not before Dale had everything tided up. :P :P

A few more of the vans at Shellharbour, I didnt take a photo of all of the vans so I hope a few others will post the missing ones. :D :D
SH 7.JPG
SH 8.JPG
SH 9.JPG
SH 10.JPG
SH 11.JPG
CC 2.JPG
140 Don 1.JPG
SH 12.jpg
Col

Post by Col »

Richard wrote:Hi Col.
Hope you got home OK, and not before Dale had everything tided up. :P :P
Hi Richard, yep,no problems apart from major head and side wind, it was a bit of hard work for the truck to keep up to 60mph some of the time. Used a load more gas going home compared to the run up. Kind of caught Dale out by coming home a day early , but it wasn't a big drama. I helped him finish stripping the chassis off the '39 today and we delivered it to the other side of town, the rest of the bits are loaded on the back of the towtruck ready to go to his place...so it's all good! 8-)
griffin

Post by griffin »

Looks like a nice spot and a good time was had. Sorry we couldn't even make it down for a look, hopefully next time we can participate fully.

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi
Yeah... its disappointing to hear that someone :roll: would make a comment like that to someone new to vintage vanning.. especially on their first trip away with the regulars.
We have always prided ourselves on the fact that there is no judging or "class distinction" at these get togethers. Comments like that only serve to tarnish the goodwill and reputation of the vintage vanning groups.
Just hope the owners of the van took notice of the shirt the person was wearing on the day ;)

Moral of the story... "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch"

I had a ball as usual. Always good to catch up with old mates .... and matettes and catch up with what's been happening in their lives. Its like a family reunion of sorts 8-)

Unlike Col, I had the wind behind me heading home and the old EH sailed up Mt Ously .. although the temp gauge did creep up towards 200 by the time I hit the top of the Mountain.

Most of my pix are pretty much the same as what has already been posted ... I will go through them and post a few of the missing vans later on.

Also wandering if we should move the weekend to the first weekend in November...
We would be able to have a Gecko at this...
http://www.pinky.com.au/nswNOV2014.htm

Kiama Car Show.

Still... there is plenty to do without car shows anyway. Shame the Heritage Airplane Museum was shut for renovations... will get a leg in the door next year.
Also a pity that the 3 fish I caught all appear to be on the poisonous species list... if they aren't.. well then.. their looks makes me think they where :shock:

Regards
Reddo and Polly D foulmouth :roll:
reddo

Post by reddo »

My Pbucket runneth over with photos....
So... here ya go... just a handful of my happy snaps ...
Richards "Roadcruiser" and Col and Kris's "Hawthorn"
John and Pam "Strugglebrooks" Supalite and HQ wagon in Tyrepower livery.
Gary and fran from Canberra...
The V6 EH wagon was a great match for the van... Image
Sandra little Gypsy enjoyed the days near the sea.
God damn .. they are so over rated :shock: ... not the Don... the happy campers :lol:

Ivan and Wendys little Atlantic. They got a shock to see all of us roll in. They are camping at Shellharbour while they move house from Kendalls Beach - Kiama.
This bloke needs no introduction. Little Joshua is growing fast and Richard had his hands full all weekend . It doesn't get easier as they get older Richard.. :lol:

We visited the motorlife Museum at Kembla Grange..
There was plenty to aim at and take photos of... I have a soft spot for the commercial vehicles..
A bloke drove the little Austin 7 down to Melbourne. loaded it onto the ship and took it to a rally in Hobart... He slept in the back of it while on the road and at the rally....
He must have either been a midget or a contortionist :lol:

That's it from me.
Reddo
Last edited by reddo on Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Reddo.
The Motorlife Museum at Dapto is well worth the visit and had around 3 caravans on display last time I was there.

Ill check out the car show at Kiama this weekend for ya Reddo. Joshua and I will take the FJ ute down, pick up the RoadCruiser at Kiama and head over to the show ground for the swap meet and car show.
Cheers.
Richard.
jennison

Post by jennison »

Hi Reddo it's Gary and Fran with the V6 EH. I'm definitely a starter for next year. OS travels and NT work commitments on hold for some time to come now and back to VVing for next year
Jenno