CARnivale - Australia Day 2015

griffin

CARnivale - Australia Day 2015

Post by griffin »

Hi all

It's on again for those that might be interested. Go to this link to register http://www.australiaday.com.au/get-involved/carnivale/ and this is the information relating to the day.

To participate in the veteran, vintage or classic section of Australia Day CARnivale in 2015 your vehicle needs to be at least 30 years old, meaning it must have been built before 31 December 1984 or be an identical model run-on.

Entries are accepted on a first-in basis, depending on the number and variety of vehicles.

Applications will close on Friday 14 November 2014 or earlier if the total space allocation has been filled.

If your registration is accepted you will receive a letter in December confirming arrival times and set-up details.

What happens on the Day

· Assembly of vehicles will commence at the Domain Car Park from 6.00 am.

· Free breakfast will be provided in the car park forecourt by the Rotary Club of Granville.

· Vehicles will travel in convoys from 7.00 am to their designated display positions.

· For crowd safety reasons vehicles must stay in their allocated position until 5:00 pm when they may leave under the direction of police and marshals.

· Marshals will assist drivers to position vehicles according to the space available.

· Entrants displaying flags or banners must affix them to their vehicles only and not to fences or buildings.

· No portable cooking facilities may be used in or around vehicles on display.

· No temporary structures, gazebos, tents or sunshades are to be erected in the precinct.

Activities on the Day

Adjacent to CARnivale, the Summer Playground in Hyde Park will be a wonderland of fun for kids and kids at heart. It is the place for families to celebrate Australia Day through live entertainment, shows and activities.

What you will receive prior to the event

An information kit will be sent to successful entrants in December containing a windscreen sticker designating your arrival time at the Domain and your on-street location, a map of the location and details about the day.

What to Bring

The windscreen sticker, without which you will not be allowed entry, and sunscreen or raincoats – the event goes on whatever the weather.

Enquiries: Vehicle Co-ordinator John Flower at carnivale@dpc.nsw.gov.au or on 02 9513 2035

I've put in a registration with the bondwood, see how it pans out.

George
griffin

Re: CARnivale - Australia Day 2015

Post by griffin »

Don't know if anyone entered for this big day in the city, but we did and received our confirmation today. Vans to be located in the usual spot towards the Opera House end of the street.
Call in and say hello if you are in for the day, always a good place to be if you are interested in old cars.

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

[quote][/quote]
Hi George and Barb
I completely missed this topic when you originally posted it.
After a lay off of a few years attending this event I sorta thought I might roll up in 2015.
But... as fortune has it I have been slack and unfortunately will miss out.

I hereby proclaim you personally responsible for putting on a good show on behalf of www.ourtouringpast.com.
Take plenty of pixs and get back to all of us here mate. Hope the weather stays fine, but not too hot on the day.

Regards
Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Like Reddo this completely slipped my mind, so we wont be attending on the day, but Iam sure we will drop in for a well earned coffee. :D :D :D
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Reddo, Richard,

You blokes are letting the team down, but I'll do my best to fly the flag, if there was one. We will be there bright and early, and a coffee will certainly be available. I have a plan for taking my car photos this time so see how it works out. With Barbara's limited mobility these days she isn't likely to be far from the van even if I am.

Mind you the bondwood hasn't turned a wheel since returning from Broken Hill, so I suppose I'm not doing a lot for the team either.

Hope to see some of you there.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Oh well, Aus. Day has been and gone for another year, we didn't get an invite to Richies lamb on the barbie so headed into Macquarie Street bright and early. Overcast but fine until we got there then the drizzle started. It came and went through the day, heavy at times but manageable and certainly didn't deter the crowds.
There was barely a soul at our end when we arrived and we took up a spot outside the Botanic Garden next to the bus shelter (Cobber's favourite spot) which gave us a nice annex in effect.
We were the only van this year and there were a lot of people asking where the rest of you were, YOU were missed!
In position at 7.15am.jpg
Breakfast was the first thing on the agenda, as with the van we can't get into the Domain for the free breakfast and coffee. The kiosk outside the garden provided our sustenance, what better thing for Australia Day for breakfast than a pie and coffee.

My plan for photographing the cars this year worked quite well, but I'm not particularly happy with the results due to poor light, but the idea was sound. I parked myself outside the Mitchell Library in several positions, mostly on the opposite corner so I could get shelter from the rain as it turned out, and it let me get cars as they came in without having to wait for the crowds to clear once they were parked. Unfortunately there were big gaps and a fair bit of rain and I had to go back to the van so I missed a lot anyway. Some car photos to follow when I get sorted.

Some interesting things from the day. I thought one bloke was going to buy the van, he kept coming back, but I still own it. A lady has asked me if I can provide the van for the launch of her children's book in a couple of months - which is about an old caravan.

Chatting to one bloke he said that one of his mates, when he worked for the railways, built a plywood caravan as a 'foreign order'! I saw a few 'foreigners' in my time too as an apprentice in a factory. They always got slipped under the bench when the foreman came along, bit hard with a bloody caravan though. Only the best timber and ply was used, and good quality slot heads too I bet.

And a young lady hit the nail on the head with her comment, "mum, there's a bed and a kitchen in here, you could live in it!"
Find the van at 2.30pm.jpg
Another good day but I'm pretty certain it was our last, I'm still knackered, as is Barbara, and I talked myself hoarse on the day. It will certainly be a shame if no one represents the old caravan movement, the organiser spoke to us and was grateful we made the effort with the only van.

Cheers

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi George

Thanks for sharing your story with us. As I said earlier on this thread .. I had completely missed the invite this year. As a result I focused on going to Cabarita Beach with the SEQ vintage van crew.

I am due for another trip down there for Australia day. Its a wander Maurie didn't turn up??
I will make every effort to get there next year and fly the "Our Touring Past" Flag for the vintage caravan movement.

I can sympathize with you about talking yourself hoarse on the day. Even when you put up an information board about the van and car people still tend to ask questions.
( I didn't know you where trying to sell that beautiful old van ??)
Its more important to listen to their stories... sometimes an old van much just fall in your lap... ;)
I know you and Barb might feel a bit "ragged" after a big day out ... but I bet you will do it all again next year !!

Cheers
Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Iam glad you had a great day. It really is a blast to spend the day chatting to the crowds, and it always amazes me the queue of people waiting patiently to have a look inside the van, not to mention the comments like "you could almost live in there" :D :D :D
Who knows maybe Joshua and I will be there next year :P :P as he loved showing people through daddys van when we were at Shellharbour last year.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo, Richard

Hope you can both 'fly the flag' next year, I think our race is run. I quite enjoy the day, but 'she who must' is finding it a bit much. See what happens.

No offers of old vans in a shed, but I'm pleased about the book launch offer. The van isn't for sale although when someone starts talking the talk you never know. I often start conversations about the Velox with "I know you!" when I find someone all over it. "Do you?" "Yep, you're the bloke who's going to make me the offer I can't refuse." I reply. No one ever has yet!! You never know I guess.

This was the first time with the bondwood and I thought it wouldn't get the constant 'rapping' on the walls by passers by, wrong. Just as much as the fiberglass.

Some little sod nicked a valve cap, a 'sport' I understand among the young ones. I can only wonder at mums reaction when they forget to empty their pockets before the shorts go in the washing machine.

A few car photos from the day.
Arnotts Ford.jpg
Could almost be made into a caravan.
Auburn speedster.jpg
Don't know if this was the real McCoy or a replica, either way it would be nice to go posing in. And of course the reason I wanted to get photos of cars on the way in.
Austin Princess.jpg
Not my usual style, but I quite liked the style of this Princess, used as a wedding car.
chev coupe.jpg
A nice one I could have taken home.
FIAT.jpg
Definitely not my style, but sort of cute. No need to wonder how sardines feel in this one.
Holden.jpg
This one is missing a door!? I think it may have two on the other side.
Holden ute.jpg
Nice, like the colour.
Studebaker.jpg
THE way to go, liked this one.
Ford.jpg
This one is my 'take home' pick, even though it's a Ford, it's a nice one.
Morrie.jpg
Never my favourite.
Chev sloper.jpg
Don't see too many Slopers, I'd like the Vauxhall version of it of course.
Buick sedan.jpg
A nice elegant ride.

As usual, a great selection of cars, something for everyone.

Cheers

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi George..
Once again... thanks for the pix. Its almost like being there.
That Holden with the missing doors is an FC Panelvan. That year and the year before (FE 1957) shared the same low roof line. It wasn't until 1960 (FB) that Holden actually raised the roof line higher than the FE/FC station wagon and panelvan giving them more storage height inside.

Love the Arnotts truck 8-) ... as you know I have a soft spot for commercial vehicles.

Cheers
Reddo