CARnivale - Australia Day 2015

Richard

Re: CARnivale - Australia Day 2015

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Great work on the photos, your a patient man to take a photo of all of the cars. Or is it that Barbara is the patient one. :D :D
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Reddo
I thought that Holden might have been one of those with three doors, there's one about which is about the same colour and has two doors on the nearside and only a driver's door on the off side. Special for Ambos or some such I believe. Arnotts also had their big Albion truck there too, but it started to rain heavily and I didn't bother with a photos. They had a semi trailer set up with some sort of display and the queue of people to get in was unbelievable. Maybe they just wanted to get out of the rain, packets of Tiny Teddies was a reward.

Richard
No chance of photographing ALL the cars, and no desire to either, just ones that appeal one way or the other, or not. i didn't even get to see all the cars this year.

A few more for the fun of it.
Chev Bel Air.jpg
Ford Coupe.jpg
Zephyr wagon.jpg
Holden Belmont NRMA van.jpg
semi trailer.jpg
George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi George

The The HK Belmont NRMA van belongs to a mate up here in Newcastle. He lives in Belmont North./Tingara Hgts. Phill got the van off a property out west. He bought it home and fixed what was required to get it registered and left all the old patina /moss etc on it for a few years. Done the car show circuit ,then took it off the road and had it completely restored. It has all the original old wooden shelving and boxes full of original tools and spare parts in the back.... my brother done all the signwriting on it.

The little dodge truck with flat bed on the back comes from down south west NSW. It has a "Fast Four" motor. The local vintage truck club had a "Truck and commercial vehicle Muster " back a few years ago. I was invited along as I had the FJ panel van at the time. We took a cruise into Newcastle Beaches.. I couldn't believe how quick the little truck was??.
It stopped well too. When I had a closer look at the trailer the owner had fitted electric brakes on it. So... the trailer brakes actually done most of the stopping for the truck. It drizzled rain on the way back to the muster area... every time the driver applied the brakes on the dodge the trailer would slither sideways on the camber of the wet road... was funny watching old mate keep it all in a straight line, he was very busy .. but done a good job .

Thanks again for the pix.
Reddo
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo

I think I saw the Belmont in it's original condition somewhere a few years back. A mate with me when I took the photo was telling me about it when he recognised your mates head, he hadn't seen it since being restored.

The old truck has been around a bit over the years, I've seen it a few time but this is the first time I've been able to get a decent photo. Doesn't look the most comfortable thing to drive so full credit to those who persevere with the old 'uns. I think too many opt for the more modern one from the stable these days, myself included to some degree, my poor old '37 hasn't seen the tarmac since last June! SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Reddo, and everyone else too.

Issue 79 of Australian Muscle Car Magazine has an interesting feature on the finding and restoration of the Reddo's mates NRMA van. I think this link will show you the cover http://www.musclecarmag.com.au/images/covers/79.jpg

George
reddo

Post by reddo »

Thanks for the link George.
I am sure Phill would have bought every copy of the mag off the newsstand ...
and I will have copy thrust under my nose next time I bump into him.

Regards
Reddo
griffin

Post by griffin »

One final picture, the medallion for the day.
Carnivale badge 2015e.jpg
Carnivale badge 2015e.jpg (131.53 KiB) Viewed 540 times
George