Bob's Caravans

A Photo History of old Family Caravanning photos or just old photos of caravans.
griffin

Bob's Caravans

Post by griffin »

I recently spent some time with friends from my car club and they had recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. It turns out they spent their honeymoon in a caravan, and have more or less owned a van ever since. Any photos? was my immediate question, the van, not honeymoon. Very quickly he produced some photos showing his new Mini 850 with a hired bondwood in tow back in 1964.
Three views of it here if anyone knows what it might be. Check out the frost on the roof of the Mini in the first one.
Bobs Mini & van - Tenterfield July 1964.jpg
Bobs Mini & van.jpg
Bobs Mini @ van 1964.jpg
In 1967, still with the Mini he and Kay hired this aluminium van. kay and the first kiddie in the background.
Bobs Mini & al van 1967.jpg
In 1973, with a new Mazda they had bought a Cruiser Hardtop, which he tells me was produced in the A.C.T. I can't find anything about them, but I'm sure there couldn't be too many caravan builders in the A.C.T.?
Bob's Cruiser Hardtop.jpg
They have continued with a range of pop top vans and still own a Jayco which is towed with their X Trail.

George
Hughdeany

Re: Bob's Caravans

Post by Hughdeany »

Hi All,
I think he means this van was made by A.C.T campers,not in the A.C.T.
It stood for Australian Camper Trailers,and they were made in Wangarratta for a while in Victoria.
The Cruiser was a mid range model at the time.
Hope this is helpful for you.
Cheers
hughdeany
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Griffin
Great photos 8-)

I am almost certain that first van is a "Walsh" 10ft Bondwood.
Made at Mayfield West ( Newcastle ).
The Walsh family use to hire vans out as well as sell them.
I have a photo somewhere of a Morris Minor 850 side valve towing a hired Walsh van from Sydney to Melbourne for the 1956 Olympics. Trip was completed with a family of 4 ... mum.dad and the 2 kids.

They never competed in the Olympics .. but I reckon they deserve a medal anyway :lol:
griffin

Post by griffin »

Thanks hughdeany, nice to get it clarified, I'll check if they are in the Library section.

Likewise Reddo, Bob and Kay grew up in the Taree area and I think he said he had not long moved to Newcastle and got a job at the steelworks when they were married, so that all fits.

Thanks

George