Reddos "MK111" Teardrop - Homebuild

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Strugglebrook

Re: Reddos "MK111" Teardrop - Homebuild

Post by Strugglebrook »

Master, will you leave the timber finish on the outside and line with metal ??
If you do this, all will match looking from the front or rear.

Your humble man servant. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
reddo

Post by reddo »

Correct.... I get called mudguard all the time..
All shiney on the top and all sh#t underneath.

Had a rethink... just gunna bung arc shaped guards on the TD. I need to stop fiddling and just get on with finishing it off.
If I was keeping it I would have bells and baubles hanging off it everywhere. Gunna let someone else "decorate the tree" ;)

One thing I have noticed is that since I started building it there has been a glut of TDs on offer on ebay and gumtree...
Must be a lot of out of work electricians out there :lol: :lol:

Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

A short flurry of activity yesterday arvo.
Removed the previuos days efforts . Wiped all the doodling off the side of the van and got down to basics.
An arc shaped guard supported by a curved bit of 7 ply screwed to the side of the van to support the inner edge of the guard , and ,,,, an infill on the outer edge also made of 7 ply (10mm) to stiffen that area.

Looks like The Murray River Queen paddle steamer aye... :lol:
I thought about leaving it like this and goin for the "Sled " look :P
Maybe bore 5 holes 25mm round in line with the wheel stud pattern to feed the wheel brace through onto the nuts... coooooooooooooooooool... NOT :cry:

So... grab the 13" wheel. stand it against the Paddlewheel and mark out a nice curve,
Attack with jigsaw ..
End result....

Bung the wheel in through the gap to see how she looks.....

Bit of tweaking and she'll do me.
Will sand the square shoulder off where top of guard rolls around the outer infill /valence to give it a smoother look. I can only bend ply in one direction.. so cant put a rolled top in the guard.
Might do as Strugglebrook has suggested and fix aluminium sheet to the valence so when you look side on at the van its all alloy . also sand and clear lacquer the top of the guard.

Not too sure what to use to seal under the guard and prevent road grit wearing through the ply. Was thinking a few thick coats of undercoat , then an oil based top coat.. followed by a coat of body deadner..
or.
Cut insertion rubber and glue it around the inside of the guard with liquid nails.... its good stuff.

Reddo
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Looking pretty good Reddo.I`m sure whatever guard trim idea you come up with will do justice. gordo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Master, why not sikaflex some tin around the inside of the guards to protect the ply.
Please do not worry about all the TDs on the bay and the gum, they have been built by amateurs.

The are not Master built.
Dave

Post by Dave »

As long as its got plenty of glue and screws because you never know when some crazy tour organiser takes you on 57km of dirt road full off bumps with signs saying no caravans through here.
Dave.
reddo

Post by reddo »

She'll be right Dave... They only put those signs up for blokes with chev pickups towing giant fobbergross ostrich-liner eggs.
Forest trails are not an issue for wooden vans.. they are in their natural habitat... :lol:

Reddorganiserofouttasightours
reddo

Post by reddo »

Well folks...
That's the end of the MK111 TD build.
It will be heading off to the central coast for completion and will serve as a mountain bike transporter /camper for Anthony Woods and his daughter.

I am going to finish off the 2 guards and fit them back on the van , as well as fitting a safety chain to the drawbar for Anthony. He loves the timber finish on the van and has plans for a few personal touches before registering it.

I am going to fill the inside up with all the ply offcuts I have... sorta helps clean the shed up a bit and saves me doing a run to the tip with the left overs.

I get about 1/5th of my shed space back as well....... room for more junk !!!

My next project will probably be converting the 6ft x 8ft extenda trailer base frame into a transport trailer for the 1940 BSA and side car I am messing with at the moment. :idea:

Cheers
Reddo
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Seems like a good result Reddo akin to this year/new year - ridding the other/bringing in the new.No telling how this extenda is going to turn out.Being what it is gives you plenty of ideas to tackle i`m sure.I certainly looked over its possibilities when i first saw it.May as well say it now so all the best to you & yours & look forward to MK !V is it? cheers gordo
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Well done Master, looking forward to next honorable project. :D :D :D :D