RIP John Brown. (Butch)

Interesting information and photos of the legendary FX and FJ Holdens.
Richard

RIP John Brown. (Butch)

Post by Richard »

I had a very sad phone call from Mary today, (John Browns partner).
Mary told me the sad news that John passed away last Sunday from a heart attack after recovering from major surgery.
For those of you that never had the pleasure of meeting John he was the FX FJ Holden guru in NSW, and had been restoring and modifying Holdens even before he could drive.

I first met John some 20 years ago at a swap meet somewhere and over the years John and Mary became our good friends.
John will be sadly missed in our lives as well as the FX FJ Holden community with his wealth of knowledge now gone.
But I will remember him from the good times we had at the many swap meets he attended.

Our thoughts are with Mary and Johns family.

Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
reddo

Re: RIP John Brown. (Butch)

Post by reddo »

Hi Richard.

I was told about Butch passing on while at the June swapmeet at Gosford...
It came as a surprise as I was talking to him earlier in the year and he seemed reasonably fit and happy????
Mary and Butch had a lot to do with organizing the 2012 FX / FJ Nationals at Bathurst.
I quite often sold early Holden bits to Butch.. or more to the point...... Mary.
She has a keen eye for spotting fx/fj bits in amongst a lot of other stuff. Poor old butch had to pay and cart the bits around the swap meets .

A nice bloke with an easy going nature. ..
Sadly missed around the early Holden car club scene.

Regards
Reddo
Richard

Re: RIP John Brown. (Butch)

Post by Richard »

Hi Reddo.
Yes I was also shocked. I was talking to John in January and he mentioned that he was having health problems. I then saw him again at the Sydney Super Swap in Feb and I could tell that he was a little concerned about his operation, but who wouldnt be.
He was a great friend and was always willing to help out where he could. I know I will sadly miss him but not only did we lose a gentleman but we have also lost a wealth of information on early Holdens as well.

Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.