Gunning's Holden Wall of Fame.

Interesting information and photos of the legendary FX and FJ Holdens.
griffin

Gunning's Holden Wall of Fame.

Post by griffin »

On our recent trip back from Melbourne we stopped for a coffee at the town of Gunning which was by-passed by the motorway years ago. If you have never been there it's a pleasant little town with some nice historic buildings, and these days, about six shops that were open on the day, all on the eastern side of the main street.

At the southern end of the shops is an old garage, Baileys Garage, which has a nice new coat of paint and red sign writing, and on the southern wall a group of painting of "real" Holden cars, starting with the 48-215 up to the 1977 HZ. A sign informs the artist is Peter Try and it is a Gunning Focus Group Product. I don't know how long the Hall of Fame has been there, but I don't remember it from a couple of years back.
Gunnings Holden 13-c.JPG
There was plenty of parking along side the wall to take a photo with your car if you had a Holden, and heck I might even take the Vauxhall next to it when I'm there again, but it would be a must for me if I owned a Holden.
Gunnings Holden 10-c.JPG
Gunnings Holden 1-c.JPG
It's a great old garage and still in use for mechanical work it seems, but if it ever comes up for sale I reckon it would make a great place for a Holden and Caravan Museum Richard ;) ;) . Maybe a partnership and stick a few Vauxhalls in too :P What a way to put Gunning on the map :)

Oh, and there is a very pleasant looking free camp area at the northern end of town.

George
reddo

Re: Gunning's Holden Wall of Fame.

Post by reddo »

Hiya George
Thanks for posting this.

Would make an interesting overnight free camp stop on a future tour. ;)
ummm.. one of the 6 shops still open wouldn't be a hotel would it??

Also... good to see someone is still holding a paint brush and doing their bit to keep the signwriting trade alive 8-)
Cheers
Reddo
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo

I don't remember the hotel, but Mr Google tells me the Telegraph Hotel is available to serve the needs of the thirsty of Gunning. See http://telegraphhotelgunning.com/

George
jennison

Post by jennison »

Have lunch there regularly. It is certainly an iconic piece of Holden history to look at/in!! A must detour Reddo on the next Nsw toujenno
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Jenno.
We always drop in for a cupper on our way to or from Melbourne.
Did you say "look in" ? I have always squinted through the windows but never been in. What is inside?
Cheers.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.