Lost in the 50s Museum - Newcastle

griffin

Lost in the 50s Museum - Newcastle

Post by griffin »

My car club recently visited this fairly new museum at Newcastle and I was absolutely stunned by the collection on view. All sorts of motoring 50s and 60s memorabilia and vehicles from a Batmobile to a fold up motor scooter, valued I was told, around $5,000,000 and everything from the good old USA, not an Aussie car or RHD in sight :o
General View-c.JPG
From my point of view, just as well, for the $15 entry fee I’d have been disappointed to look at the usual line up of Holdens, Fords and Valiants. The museum is open by arrangement for groups, and it seems one day a month, there is a web site with some information, and our visit ended up on the open day after a postponement, so it was pretty busy with lots of extra cars in the parking lots.
Ford ute.JPG
Among all the gleaming chrome and paint of a great array of American cars there was one lonely caravan too, a 1954 Shasta Wanderer, which to my mind looks very modern compared to our 50s vans.
1954 Shasta Traveller-c.JPG
I’m not a fan of the way this one is decorated however, with all the beer and Coca Cola signage; I know some seem to like it though.
Shasta kitchen-c.JPG
It is displayed with a station wagon tow vehicle and an array of period camping equipment, including a canoe and set of golf clubs.
Shasta tow car-c.JPG
I didn’t actually establish what the tow car was unfortunately, maybe I was distracted by the bikini clad mannequin, who was by far the best ‘equipped’ mannequin I’ve ever seen, and she certainly got some attention. (You don't have to scroll back up to check, I'm sure you noticed ;) )

Outside was a Dodge Daystar motor home, one of only 6 in the world according to its sign, one of which was, or is owned by Doris Day.
Dodge Daystar-c.JPG
Not overly large, but an interesting style of thing, it had wonderful marble sinks and brass taps in the kitchen, vanity and shower, and was open for inspection.
Daystar kitchen-c.JPG
Tucked away in a corner outside was what appeared to be an old Carapark van, set up for some commercial enterprise it seemed?
Carapark front-c.JPG
It was very small and mounted on an old, modified car or truck chassis with a Westco 40cwt over ride coupling which operated the brakes with a rod set up instead of cables.
Carapark rear-c.JPG
I was about to investigate further when a great unveiling took place, a massive stretch 57 Chev limo, and I never got back to it. I didn’t even get to peek inside to see what was there :oops:
Big Chevvy.JPG
The cars are magnificent and it would seem in many cases the top of the range for the particular model of the day, outfitted in many cases with California kits. I just loved the architecture and sculpture of most of the cars, they are amazing and really you need to take the time to look at the detail, and the interiors, I reckon today’s car designers wouldn’t know where to start if they had to come up with something similar.

If there was a “Like” symbol on here then these couple of cars would get heaps from me.
Bonneville side-c.JPG
1963 Dodge New Yorker Town and Country-c.JPG
Just check out the shape of the tail lights on that Dodge, fantastic :!: I'm looking forward to another visit and spending a lot more time checking out the finer details, its easy to overlook them, but if you visit, make sure you spend time to "smell the roses."
A lot of the cars are on 'club plates' so they get some use.
In the days when they ran on real petrol anyone of them 'could put more lead in you than Wyatt Earp on a mean day" to quote a now unknown motoring writer from years ago.

George
mrfj55

Re: Lost in the 50s Museum - Newcastle

Post by mrfj55 »

G'DAY GEORGE,

THANKS FOR THE PHOTOS, WOW :shock: WOW !

EVERY ONE A WINNER, POETRY IN MOTION ;) THEY SURE HAD IMMAGINATION AT THE DRAWING BOARD BACK THEN AND THEY WERE NOT AFRAID TO USE IT !

MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE IS THE 50-53 CADILLACS . . . . . . . . . . . . . ONE DAY .

WHAT SUBURB IN THE HUNTER VALLEY IS THE MUSEUM LOCATED ?
I WILL HAVE TO GET THERE SOON FOR A LOOKY-SEE .

CHEERS, 8-) MAURIE 8-) .
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

Now that's one place I could spend a looong time, I better take a bib with me for the drooling !

Any chance of posting the link you mentioned George.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Maurie & olfarts

Dont' remember a 52-53 Caddy, what about this 57 as a consolation prize :?:
1957 Cadillac Eldorado Barritz.JPG
The place is located just a few minutes off the end of the M1 (old F3), Cardiff exit, Cameron Park. This card should give you all the contacts.
File2987.jpg
And a couple more cars for good measure, I could see you in the Pontiac convertible with a bigger teardrop
1956 Pontiac Starchief.JPG
and the Mercury has the most amazing air vents built in the top of the windscreen corners :o conveniently being pointed out, not to mention the grille and bumper
Mercury - c.JPG
George
OlFarts

Post by OlFarts »

Singo's old brewery !!

The Batmobile is an Aussie car, it WAS a red VG Valiant convertible.

What a stunning lie up of cars and memorabilia :)
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Griffin

You will have to forgive me for the late reply on this post..
I live about 3 minutes away from "Lost in the 50s"
Both the car and the bike clubs I am involved in have visited here at least twice each.. I drive past it about 3 times a week.. and yet.... I still haven't been in for a look-see.

It is my hope that someday soon we can organize an Our Touring past vintage van weekend somewhere close handy ( no.. not in my backyard) to "lost in the 50s" ( Maitland /Kurri or lake Macquarie ) so we can have a Sunday there before heading home with our vans.. 8-)

Thanks for the photos.. The 50s truly was a great period in the history of the motor car.

Reddo
griffin

Post by griffin »

Sounds like a good idea Reddo, I'm ready for another look at the place.

George