Home decor items featuring caravans.

griffin

Home decor items featuring caravans.

Post by griffin »

I recently saw this print featuring a caravan and maxim on sale at a local decorator store, and while we were away at Forster found several smaller items, a key holder and a couple of small table top prints with the same image and different maxims. I don't mind the image, but I do find all these little 'words of wisdom' to stick about the house a bit tiresome, a view not shared by 'she' however who seems to be helping the trend by buying various ones, not the caravan though :roll:
Decor print-c.JPG
George
Richard

Re: Home decor items featuring caravans.

Post by Richard »

Hi Gorge.
Another great idea you have come up with. There is a growing popularity with vintage caravans which is now being followed by the ever increasing number of novelty and home decorator items available.

Here are a few of the ceramic items for sale.
Tea Pot.jpg
Salt n Pepper.jpg
Mug 1.jpg
The item below was for sale as a mug, but I'm not sure what it would be like to drink out of though.
Mug 2.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Richard

Are you sure you are not the importer for these items :?: you certainly seem to have the market covered, I've only run across the money box.

A couple of years ago I ran across these DQ items at an Angus and Robertson store in Liverpool. The key ring and the wine bottle carrier took my fancy and fitted my budget, just, but they also had a carry/tote bag with the design which was about $45 as I recall :shock:
Wine carrier & key ring-c.JPG
And at Nelson Bay a while back I found a bucket hat with caravan motif, but it had a tourist's price tag, too rich for me.
Caravan hat - e.JPG
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Now you thought you had seen everything!
Here is a vintage English made jam jar in a very nicely styled vintage caravan.
Forgot to mention it had a vey nice price tag as well.
Jam Jar.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

This one might be stretching the decor theme a bit, but people do frame them for decorations once they have completed them, a jigsaw.
jig saw puzzle-c.jpg
From a catalogue I picked up at Hobbyco the other day, this jigsaw features a Sprite caravan from the 'Southern Skies' set of 4 puzzles. It is only a small image and there are no particulars given, but the little Kiwi logo on the box seems to indicate a New Zealand origin. There are lots of jigsaws and lots with motoring oriented themes, but only the one caravan.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

These items don't feature caravans, but the next best thing, tow cars, and I'm sure some of these fabrics might find their way into caravan decors.

Passing the local quilting shop today I noticed a piece in a quilt on display with a yellow FJ Holden panel van on it :shock: So I went in to enquire and not only found the FJ fabric and two other designs with cars, but ran into two old work colleagues as well.

So this is what's on offer, the FJ design (including the controversial yellow ute) which also comes on a blue/grey background and is nicely Australian.
fabric fj design - c.JPG
The next one features mostly US cars on Aussie city maps background with an Anglia flying an Aus flag
fabric - aus car-c.JPG
And the last is Euro cars on a Continental background.
fabric - euro cars-c.JPG
I expect to see the FJ curtains at the Museum next visit ;) The only downside is they are all about $22 a metre.

The things that keep popping up :)

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Crikey, it must be the silly season :!: :lol:
At Berry markets last weekend I ran across a stall selling cushion covers, tea towels and whatever else you can make out of a bit of material with this caravan motif.
Caravan cushion covers.JPG
Quite a few colours as I recall.

Today at a local newsagent/chemist/gift shop in Camden I found this caravan shaped cushion, quite spiffy, but quite expensive too.
Caravan cushion-c.JPG
And the same shop had this tote bag, quite reasonable I suppose at $6.
Caravan tote bag-c.JPG
But, I'll bet you could never guess what the tote bag and this London electric police car (photographed in 2003) have in common :?:
electric polcar.JPG

:?:

That's enough, knew you couldn't guess - they are both made from recycled plastic drink bottles :lol: :o Well, the car's panels are at least, wonder how long before they use them for caravans :?:

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Some more fabrics with car designs to suit varying tastes.
Fabric - Magic Minis-c.JPG
Fabric On Tour - VW-c.JPG
Fabric cartoon cars-c.JPG
Fabric- Toy vehicles-c.JPG
And, for those so inclined, even one with motor cycles.
Fabric - motor cycles-c.JPG
But, none with caravans, or Vauxhalls that I've run across.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

This salt and pepper combo was on the counter at the Holbrook Caravan Park, they have had it a while, will have to keep my eye open in the op shops.
Holbrook caravan park - salt and pepper shaker.JPG
At the Nats one van had strings of solar powered caravan lights decorating the annex.
Caravan light.JPG
And where do you get em :?: Try www.australianacreativelights.com.au
Caravan lights.JPG
The same couple had a caravan card holder in the same design of the print that started this thread.
Caravan card holder.JPG
I deleted some details to protect the innocent. There have been lots of bits and pieces with this design, book ends, note pads, but the supplier seems to have now moved on, with Combi being the new flavour of the season. I checked with the store that had the print (now drastically reduced I might add) and the new catalogue has no caravan themed items, only the Combi.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Vintage caravans have now even made their way onto food packaging. In Woollies the other day helping 'she who must' (I'd rather be home tearing out my own fingernails) and I spotted part of a caravan on the shelf. "Crouton Caravan" - little bits of stale bread in a packet with a use by date, how does stale bread go stale? :roll: Another unanswered question of life. Anyway, two different coloured packets, different flavour, but this one appealed to me if I had to pay about $3.95 for 90g of stale bread. :shock:
Crouton Caravan front -c.jpg
Crouton Caravan rear -c.jpg
One side lists the ingredients and the 'other' stray bits that might be present with a note that they are a "Product of United Kingdom" (so of course the bread is stale by the time it gets here) but also shows they are supplied through Denbies Group in Victoria. Also a note to dispose of the packaging thoughtfully, which I will, stuff it with cotton wool and pop it on the shelf in the old van of course.

George