West Beach. South Australia.

A Photo History of old Family Caravanning photos or just old photos of caravans.
Richard

West Beach. South Australia.

Post by Richard »

Justin emailed these great photos of Port Norlunga in South Australia during 1959.
Port Norlunga 59 1.JPG
Click on the images to enlarge them.
Port Norlunga 59 2.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Port Norlunga

Post by Richard »

Justin has sent in a few more great photos from the 50's.
Caravan Park..JPG
Family Scene.JPG
Clem Foster Motors 1.JPG
Clem Foster Motors.JPG
Jetty Scene.JPG
reddo

Post by reddo »

8-) 8-) 8-)
I have gotta ask... Who cut down all the trees at Norlunga.

Also... Good to see all those old Holdens on the road out front of Clem Fosters garage .... and not in the workshop getting worked on. :D

Reddo
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hey Reddo.
Just noticed the caravan in the show room of Clem Fosters. Do you think its the same caravan as the one in the family photos above. Could also be the reason why the red Ford in the photo has the number plate held on with leather straps.
Does anyone know where Clem Foster was situated?

Cheers.
Richard.
Roughasguts

Post by Roughasguts »

Hi Guy's I'm glad you liked the photos that Richard, posted up for me, there old slides that my Sister had put on CD they turned out great.

Clem Foster motors was or still is in Adelaide at 245 Unley Rd Hyde park or is it Malvern! it's now trading as a fitness centre and painted dark Blue.
Anyway it's between Greenhill Rd and Cross RD.

Clem also had the place over the road which was 288 Unley Rd, and that is still a car yard. They knocked down a beatifull old house just for that in about 1970 when Clem, sold out to Chrysler Australia in 1969.
Got some nice piccys of the House.

And yes that's the same caravan in the show room window good pick up! Dad never sold that van. My bet is that it's still in a garage at Cape Jervis where Dad left it. Mum sold the shack with the van in the Garage early 90's, then bought a Safari Camper with some of the proceeds.

The leather strap was holding on Trade plates, we still have them some where. Trading plates used years ago, if your in the buisness of buying and selling cars, you could then drive an un registered car legally, not that that would have worried him much.

Clem use to build and race Manx Nortons in the mid 30's and holds a cabinet full of trophys for race wins at Lobethal, Phillip Island Sellicks beach Cowes, in W.A. And I bet around the streets of Adelaide but he was hard to catch. I think some of his old bikes you can find in Birwood mill museum. Now I wish we still had those.

Dad was getting speeding fines late in to his 70's driving a 400 Cid 1973 Ford LTD built in the states, we still got that! great tow car.

Cheers Justin.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Reddo,

That was my first thought too but then figure a tree cut down would have a smooth cut, I'm thinking we might be seeing new seedling trees surrounded by a brush type protector. These days we use plastic. None the less it looks pretty barren. Would be interesting to see an update.

Love the photos.

Noddy
Roughasguts

Post by Roughasguts »

Ooops my bad I was asking my Sister the other night and the Caravan park is at West Beach, S.A. Which makes a whole lot more sence to me as I could see the smoke staks at PT Stanvac in the back ground.

It can't be Norlunga as there are no smoke staks south of the Caravan park.
OlFarts

Re: West Beach. South Australia.

Post by OlFarts »

The jetty is definitely the old Port Noarlunga Jetty.

But unfortunately the van park is somewhere else.

Port Noarlunga van park was on to of the hill on The Esplanade between the RSL club and bowling club,it was pulled down about 6 years ago and now is a park.

Dave