2012 FX/FJ Holden nationals at Bathurst NSW

This is the place to post a story and photos of your recent getaway in your Historic caravan.
reddo

2012 FX/FJ Holden nationals at Bathurst NSW

Post by reddo »

Hi all
Just recovered from a fantastic few days between christmas and New year at the FX/FJ Holden Nats based at Bathurst showground.
I left Newcastle on Thurs 27th Dec around 8.00am in my FJ ute with 10ft supalite van on behind.
Travelled Via the F3, M2 and M& highways then on up to Katoomba .. across to Bell and on down into Lithgow and over to bathurst.
Arrived about 1.30pm.
After unhooking the van i notoced that the left rear wheel was itting well back in the wheel arch. U bolts had come lose allowing the diff to move back about 1 1/2".
Easy fix .
Had a cruise up around Mt Panorama and a welcoming BBQ on the friday arvo at Mc Phillamy Park.
Saturday was a huge day at the show and shine with 173 Humps present....
Here are few piccies...

Took hundreds of pix... too many to list here..

Left to come home on New years Eve... car had trouble towing the van on the slow climb out of Bathurst. I stopped and checked the brakes ... baked the van brakes off a bit and added1 litre of oil to the gearbox. All went better then.
Climbed up Bells line of Ropad to Bell then cut across Gilberts causeway to Mt Victoria.
Right wheel on van locked up at Blackheath . Done some road side reapirs to free it up. Uneventfull trip all the way back to wityhin 300 metres of my place. Brake pedal went to the floor coming into a roundabout... no brakes at all. managed to get around the roundabout. Pulled up... selected first gear and crawled come.
Broken brake line pipe behind left rear wheel had let all the fluid out.... :shock:

All fixed now... i am lucky the brakes never gave out cominmg down conrod straight... or.. anywhere else for that matter.
Cheers
Reddo
griffin

Re: 2012 FX/FJ Holden nationals at Bathurst NSW

Post by griffin »

Hi Reddo

Looks like a good time for Holden fans, there was still an odd one floating around Orange and Wellington when we went up for the Vauxhall Rally on the 3rd. Seems like there was a bit of rushed preparation there in the Reddo camp, not like you :) Glad you didn't come to grief with those brakes.

We had a torrid time in the heat, Vauxhalls and temps in the high 30s is not a good mix. My old '37 got me up and back (early) without too much drama, a few little bits shook loose inside, but a hard days drive. No vans in our group apart from Sportsman 1 and his teardrop, and it was that hot I barely took any photos, but I will post a couple later when I get them sorted.

Edit - Later :)
Marshalling for the street parade-Wellington.JPG

Here's a photo of Vauxhalls preparing for the street parade in Wellington. They were very accommodating considering it is the main highway though town and it was closed in both directions while we did a lap in each direction then angle parked outside the park. My old girl is the blue tourer, still looking for a little old van to put behind it.

And, for those who mightn't be aware, Vauxhall was GMHs small family car before the introduction of the Holden.

George