An unusual collectable.

Interesting information and photos of the legendary FX and FJ Holdens.
griffin

An unusual collectable.

Post by griffin »

As a collector of all sorts of things that interest me I can't say I ever took to items relating to early Holdens, apart from advertisements and match covers. One of my fellow match cover collector friends, however, also collects cigarette packets and other smoking related items so when I recently took him some packets I'd picked up he asked if I had the cigarette tin with the Holden inside, simply because of my interest in old cars. From my blank looks he deducted that I had no idea of what he was talking about so off he went to get it and show me.

It turns out to be a tin for Champion Ruby tobacco which he bought to add to his collection largely because he liked the packaging (as collectors do) and the fact that it was titled 'Legendary', which is apparently new. Of course with the new laws all packaging will soon become plain khaki coloured so the bright yellow tin will disappear forever, and it has been yellow for as long as I can remember seeing them.

The surprise came when he got it home and his wife had a sticky beak at it, as they do, and for no particular reason pulled the tobacco pouch out of the tin. Neither of them smoke so there was never a reason to take it out, so imagine the surprise to find a picture of an early Holden ute. He has since been told there are several different early Holden pictures, but he has only seen this one, and of course with anti smoking laws prohibiting advertising then the company could never advertise the series, makes you wonder why they even bother.

If you are dead keen to get one then your time is limited, the new packaging laws come into effect on the 14-11-2012 and I'm told the tobacco companies are going to every outlet on or before that date to replace any old stock with the new plain packs. What a wonderful thing 'Big Brother' is looking after everyone's health like that. Who knows, maybe the new Champion packaging will continue with their little surprises.

Here's what it all looks like AND I'd best remind readers that SMOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD, I'd hate to be accused of promoting tobacco products.
Champion.JPG
George
Richard

Re: An unusual collectable.

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
What a thing to find in a tabacco tin !!!
Do you know if they are still available, or was it purchased a while ago.
Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Re: An unusual collectable.

Post by griffin »

Hi Richard

Sorry, I missed your reply, but they were current at the time of the post, I don't know if they have continued onto the plain packaged tobacco, hopefully I'll get an update from my mate in the new year.

George