Eicke & Provis

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Re: Eicke & Provis

Post by Richard »

Our little Eicke and Provis is having its first official outing in a week, so I thought I had better get stuck into a couple of things I need to tidy up on it.
Firstly the rear left chassis rail look as though someone left the support leg down ad ripped the leg bracket off destroying the timber.

The back of the van with the broken rail.
EPR 1.jpg
EPR 2.jpg
This is how it should look.
EPR 3.jpg
EPR 4.jpg

I had a bit of a problem as I wanted to keep it as original as possible so replacing the whole chassis rail from front to back was out of the question. So the next option was to cut a scarf joint and add a section of timber from under the body back. So the bulk of the cut joint on the original section still supports the body, and the new section has strength from the scarf joint. So anyway this is how I did it.

EPR 5.jpg
EPR 6.jpg
EPR 7.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

I'm sure the fine carpenter you are will show in the finished result, good to see.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks George Iam pretty happy with the end result.
The Work continues.

Next I drilled the scarf to make it easier to chisel the scarf out, and I cut the two sides with a saw.

EPR  8.jpg
EPR  9.jpg
EPR  10.jpg

The body was worn slightly onto the chassis rail so I needed to cut the body into the new rail.

EPR  11.jpg
EPR  12.jpg

The leg bracket has a lip on the bottom so I needed to house that into the rail.

EPR  13.jpg
EPR  14.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.