Wide Open Road

griffin

Wide Open Road

Post by griffin »

A three part series with that title starts on ABC1 here in Sydney tonight, 16 October. It is described as exploring Australia's obsession with cars, looks like it will interest most old van tragics :D ;)
I'll have to get the DVD recorder cranking ;)

George
griffin

Re: Wide Open Road

Post by griffin »

Just caught up to the 2nd episode and there were a couple of glimpses of caravans in it, no idea what they were. There was one in the first episode too and Francis Birtles 1930s motor caravan. I have a photo of it somewhere, great looking thing with a lantern roof.

Some great memories for those of us who lived the 60s and 70s on the road and episode 2 had plenty of old time Bathurst with the big and small cars mixing it up, those were the days. AND the poor little Vauxhall Viva landing on its roof, it featured in the promos for years and was great incentive for me never to put mine on its roof.

Looking forward to the final episode next Sunday.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
What a great series this is, once in a while the ABC hit the nail on the head, and they have certainly done it with the Wide Open Road.

For anyone that missed episode 2 here is the iview link, which will end in about 9 days.

Episode 1 is to the right below episode 2 and expires in 2 days.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

The final episode last night maintained the interest although more about Ford/Holden rivalry. I have a blank spot in my life, I don't remember Brock and Moffatt being driving buddies and who thought Moffatt actually had a heart, he got all teary talking about Brock.

The only van to make an appearance was 'old mate' tootling along minding his own business in the opening scenes of Mad Max when a big Ford ripped through the middle of the van. At least it was an aluminium van. Even so hopefully there was only one take and they didn't have too many potential victims lined up in the wings. Great scene though :shock: :lol:
Mad Max.jpg
Mad Max.jpg (64.88 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
George