Our 1951 Silver Knight 15.

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
DC3TD

Re: Our 1951 Silver Knight 15.

Post by DC3TD »

Hello Richard.Glad to hear the caravan is growing on you. A lot of interesting factors encompassed within its design.And has a great interior fitout.Might have to boost the humpy horsies somewhat to tow eh. cheers
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Gordon.
Yep I think the old FJ would be a bit under rated in the horse power department. Actually I have been thinking a bit more along the lines of a small pommy truck. :?: :?: :D :D

How about something like this 1957 Bedford truck ? I could use it for work AND tow the Silver Knight with it as well. 8-) 8-)
57 Bedford.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Ha,now you`re talking.There`s quite a few of them old girls still out there.Guess when you`re ready we might see one snuggled between your vin vans.cheers
Richard

Post by Richard »

I found this 1951 article on the London Motor Show which features the very lavish Falstaff Knight. The clipping is from the Melbourne Argus newspaper and it seems as though the Coventry Knight caravans were even making an impression over here in the 50's. Which I suppose isnt surprising considering the van has 3 levels as well as a roof top garden. :D :D
Falstaff Knight Melbourne Argus 1951.jpg
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

One wonders how many folk could afford to spend the money on such a lavish caravan -
Average weekly wage 5Pnd.House from 750Pnd.Ford Popular 80Pnd - But they did.
cheers
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have had this ad emailed to me for the Knight 48 from Coventry Steel Caravans. I would just love to have one of the original brochures to go along with the Silver Knight. :D :D
Knight 48.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

A while ago DC3TD sent me a link to some English caravan club memorabillia on ebay that I may be interested in, ( thanks Gordon ). Well I didnt do any good with that but the owner did have this photo that he sent me.

It is a photo of a half constructed Coventry Steel caravan. It is actually funny that the caravans were named Coventry Steel, as the metal panels are actually aluminium.
Coventry Steel.jpg
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

G`day Richard. We currently have a similar bodied (`64 model i`m told) Bedford truck at work. Haven`t had time to grab relevant info but is pretty good nic for age & mostly original incl timber tray/cattle gates & sides. Running a v8. Located at manheim auctions moorebank. Was told probably can be grabbed for 5K. cheers
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Gordon.
If you have a contact number for the truck could you message it to me.

Cheers.
Richard.
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Truck still up for grabs although they`re saying it`ll probably now put up on ebay. cheers