Vintage Delage with 60s Franklin - 1972

A Photo History of old Family Caravanning photos or just old photos of caravans.
griffin

Vintage Delage with 60s Franklin - 1972

Post by griffin »

Hi

1972 - as newlyweds the wife and I were residing in a little Millard van we had bought and put on site at the Poplars Caravan Park, Camden. The park is still there by the way :) and we lived there for about 3 years while we paid off our land at Bargo and built a new house. Each year a Victorian registered vintage Delage sedan towing a Franklin van would arrive and spend a week or so at the park. An elderly gent drove it, elderly enough as I recall to have had it from new :P I had not long developed an interest in old cars so it managed to have it's photo taken and I've just run across a print so here it is :D
Delage with Franklin caravan - Poplars Caravan Park, Camden c1972.jpg
This was in the days when the Hume Highway still passed through Camden and past the park, before the high level bridge and bypass opened and long before the Freeway bypassed the lot :| The entire trip from Melbourne would have been slow and arduous at any time let alone using a 50 year old tow car. Come to think of it I'm in the same situation now :roll: Our Christmas family trip from Camden to Wagga was an long all day affair in a Model A Ford and later improved in a Peugeot 203 but still a long days drive. I remember sitting behind slow old trucks for miles and miles, no overtaking lanes or divided road, single lane bridges, afternoon tea at The Dog on the Tucker Box, the setting sun through the river gums heading into Wagga, those were the days ;) :lol: I digress ;)

Unfortunately I don't know the year of the car and I would hope that it and the van survived. Quite some time on the internet failed to find a similar looking Delage (a French make) but this could be an Australian built body. Most articles and photos are devoted to the mid 30s special sports bodied models that seem to frequent Pebble Beach Concours in the U.S. and command ridiculous prices in the millions :o Not that I wouldn't like to own one if I won a big, i.e. BIG Lotto prize :D My dream car :? wonder what sort of van would suit it :?: Here's a pic of the 'dream car' from Wikipedia 8-) 8-)
Delage_Type_D8-120_Side.jpg

So, this post is more about the tow vehicle than the van, maybe someone knows if the car and or van survived. The number plate alone today would be worth a motza I should think :)

George