Cara-Ute 1957

A Photo History of old Family Caravanning photos or just old photos of caravans.
griffin

Cara-Ute 1957

Post by griffin »

Hi Richard

This item is from Wheels, February 1957 showing an early type slide on camper unit on a Vauxhall ute which was built by a Mr. Griffiths from an uspecified Sydney suburb (I can't make it out on the side of the ute) but the unit was called 'Itldous'. Having messed with Vauxhalls for over 35 years I have found it quite amazing that none of the ute owners have ever tried to replicate it :( If I had a ute in my collection I think it would be a 'must do' project ;) :)
Cara-Ute, Wheels Feb 1957-c.jpg
By coincidence a couple of years ago I was researching some Vauxhall material at the State Archives at St Mary's and while waiting for some photocopying I picked up one of the many family history books for a browse. Flicking though it I was surprised :o to see the 'Itldous' photo so I had to do a bit of reading. Mr. Griffiths had a family connection to the particular history and some information was given. As I recall it said he had not gone into production of the units and did not apply for a patent on it. It also turned out to be at least MkII as there was a photo of one he had previously built one to fit on a Bedford ute which was the 4cyl, 12 hp model. I can only imagine how slow it may have been :!:
Still a possible project for a Vauxhall or Holden ute owner :P

George
Richard

Re: Cara-Ute 1957

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
Thanks for posting this little beauty. :shock: I could see me making one of these for the FJ Ute :D , although the wind resistance worries me a bit, as it is bad enough towing our yellow van let alone something that sits about a meter higher.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
jennison

Post by jennison »

Going round corners might be a bit hairy as well with all that weight up high and over the front, given the 1950s' suspension!
I know jumping from a modern car into my EH that for the first few corners it feels like I am going to scrape the door handles with all that body roll :o :o let alone with a load like that on top :D
jennison
griffin

Post by griffin »

While sorting out some 'stuff' the other day I found a copy of the item I mentioned at the State Archive in my original post so here is the photo of the Cara-Ute on a 10hp pre-war Bedford utility. It still has the white lines on the mudguard edge used during the war with the blackouts. These utes had knee action front suspension with torsion bars which suffered with neglect over the years but I've found them to be quite good when well cared for. I've no desire to build a replica for a Bedford ute, if you could find one, they are pretty scarce these days :( The streamline paint on the unit probably helped. :lol: Looking at the photos closely it may even be the same unit that was transferred to the Vauxhall ute.
Sorry I can't acknowledge the family history it was taken from, I don't seem to have made a note of it on the copy :x
Cara Ute on Bedford.jpg
George