Camper Caravans. (Camper Trailers.)

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Camper Caravans. (Camper Trailers.)

Post by Richard »

The following information was originally posted by Griffin.

Bungalow Auto Trailer.

This illustation is from the Australian Caravan Magazine & Log Book of 1938.
It is accompanied by several pages of notes on how to construct the trailer (which I didn't copy :o maybe next library visit ;) )but I thought it might be of interest anyhow.
Bungalow 1938 ACM.jpg
George
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Camper Caravans.

Post by Richard »

Burdenmaster Sleeper Trailer.

I have had this brochure for a while and never new where to put it. I also have some photos in the archives of an original Burdenmaster trailer that I came across.
Burdenmaster Trailer 2..jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

CARGILL 'Caravanette'.[/size]
Found these two advertisements in the N.R.M.A. Open Road from 1967 when it was in newspaper format.
Cargills were general sellers of camping gear to my recall, I wonder if they had the caravanette manufactured for them or if they were total 'in house' manufacture?
The second advert from April 67 is interesting in that it quotes prices in dollars and pounds.
Cargills OR 1-2-1967-c.jpg
Cargills -Open  1-4-1967-c.jpg
One still lives around the corner from me in use as a box trailer, I haven't seen a complete one for years.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Tenta Van
This advert was found in the NRMA Open Road dated 1-2-1967.
A pretty basic unit it would seem, I like the imaginative use of 'van' in the name.
Tenta Van  - Open Road 1-2-67.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

This might not be the right spot for this bit of news but I guess it has to go somewhere, if need be it can be moved later.

I've just received my copy of Motorlife News for Feb 2012, from the Australian Motorlife Museum at Kembla Grange, and it gives some details of new addition to their collection, a 1911 Auto-Kamp camper trailer.

It was apparently purchased new in Tasmania and later restored and used there and is now installed and set up on display at the Museum. A photo was included but it's very poor so it looks like I'll have to pay a visit soon and take my own, unless someone already has?

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
I actually had a meeting with Wendy this week regarding some missing parts for the Auto Kamp trailer, and something that they are organising in September. So while I was there I took a couple of photos for you.
Auto Kamp 1.JPG
The Auto Kamp Trailer was originally purchased from Auto Kamp Trailers in California by Mr Edward D Weston, in 1910 or 1911, and was towed by a model T Ford to Vancouver, Canada, where the car and camper was then shipped to Sydney by steamer then on to Lilydale in Tasmania.
The camper was then purchased by Bill Carter of Tasmania from Jeff Weston ( Edward Weston's son ) in the 1980's, and the camper was in poor condition. In 2005 Bill restored the camper, with most of the timber work replaced and new canvas made.
Auto Kamp 2.jpg
Auto Kamp 4.JPG
Auto Kamp 5.JPG
The simple adjustable legs that were on the front and rear corners.
The simple adjustable legs that were on the front and rear corners.
The spring shackel setup.
The spring shackel setup.
Its hard to see but the draw bar is attached to a hinge set up that can be adjusted to suit the towing height of the vehicle to keep the trailer level, with another flat bar running back to the axle to help with the pulling loads.
Its hard to see but the draw bar is attached to a hinge set up that can be adjusted to suit the towing height of the vehicle to keep the trailer level, with another flat bar running back to the axle to help with the pulling loads.
The folding table that originally came with the camper.
The folding table that originally came with the camper.
Auto Kamp 10.JPG
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Richard

What an interesting item, marvelous how inventive people could be. I can't imagine too many people these days going to go to that much trouble to set up at the end of a day but we had to start somewhere. It's great to see it survived.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Another Cargils Camper trailer ad.
One of these has also turned up for sale with the extended annex as well.
Cargills.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

1961 ad for Brown and Watson and their Mobiltrail camper.
Brown and Watson 61.jpg
Richard

Re: Camper Caravans. (Camper Trailers.)

Post by Richard »

1969 vintage caravan ad from Camperland with the range of campers and features available.
Camperland 9.jpg