Norich Caravans

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
freeway

Norich Caravans

Post by freeway »

Liz and I just had a great conversation with a man named Alwyn who was the maker of Norich Caravans! :D :D :D He was a motor engineer when not making vans, which explains the quality of construction!

I was pretty excited when I got his contact details and didn't take time to calm down and think of good questions to ask but he gave me alot of information. So the company was located in Market St Adelaide, started 1966 and was around for about 5 years and made around a dozen vans, most made to order. He made the vans in 2 to 6 berth and even made a 20 foot one with a toilet and shower for the S.A. Wheat Board!

Frames were made from Jelutong wood, glued and screwed and covered in aluminium, lapped all over for water tightness.

Everything was made to perfectly balance the van, and we should have a ball weight of about 150Kg's. Even the water tank is positioned for weight distribution! They've got heavy duty axles, chasis made by Gordon Tregoning to specification for the van and used Holden wheels.

Ok, I have to get to bed now, more information will follow! I'll thnik of some questions to ask and get back in touch!

Andrew
Richard

Re: Norich Caravans

Post by Richard »

Hi Andrew.
WOW that is great news, you cant get better information than straight from the guy who built them.
Dont forget to find out the address where they were built.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.