GM Display Day

Richard

GM Display Day

Post by Richard »

Linda and I have just returned from a fabulous day out at the GM display day at Penrith Panthers.
We arrived in the panelvan and was greated by Mourie from the FX FJ club. The panelvan was a big hit with the keen FJ people as it was the only one there on the day, so I was busy answering questions about the panelvan and where it came from.

We ran into a few people that we have met over the years with Historic Caravans and it was great to catch up with them. Forum member Griffin was there with his Vauxhaul and Olympic caravan, and his combination ended up with a trophy for the best display on the day.

Griffin's Vauxhaul and Olympic.
GM 3.jpg
A couple of the FX,FJ's on display, with the black 54 special sedan below sporting its original paintwork, chrome and upholstery, with the speedo reading only 77000 miles it also has a fully documented service history.
GM 1.jpg
FX Ute with a set of headlight spears and a standard canopy.
GM 2.jpg
And this very nice Chevrolet Truck.
GM 4.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Re: GM Display Day

Post by griffin »

Hi Richard

GM Day was a good day out, couldn't have asked for better weather. Nice to catch up to you both for a chat, Barbara and I were amazed how much interest there was in the van and how many people we spoke to have vans or are working on them. Would be nice to see a few more along, the day seemed to be down on numbers to me this year :(
To be clear about our trophy, it was from our own club for 'best display' with the van and 'Young Harry' in the back seat in his Cyclops baby seat and not the grand pooh bar GM trophy. Seems you need a Cadillac to win those :!:
Interesting to see your FJ panel van, the more I think about it I can't remember the last time I saw one although a few weeks ago I saw part of one if you have the rest to be able to stick it back together :) Bit of welding and a big tin of bog :roll:
Holden panel van roof-c.JPG
The most spectacular arrival for me was the 1958 Bedford bus converted to a mobile home, lots of love and money :shock: spent on this one with its polished stainless sides, no excuse for not having a shave or combing the rug. All mod cons inside with timber panelled roof and powered by a 351, soon to be upgraded to a stroked 427 :!: What fuel crisis.
Bedford nearside-c.JPG

Nice touch with the surf board on the side and bike on the back.
Bedford offside rear-c.JPG
He gets around a bit in it with the family, I just hope he is never crossing my path in the late afternoon in case the refections destroy my retinas :P

George
mrfj55

Post by mrfj55 »

G'DAY SPINNERS ;) ,

WHAT A GREAT DAY IT WAS WITH SO MANY ICONIC GM VEHICLES EVERY WHERE YOU LOOK .IT WAS INTERESTING AS THE MORNING PROGRESSED THE BETTER THE STANDARD OF CARS THAT ARRIVED AND THE MORE CONVERTIBLES THAT ARRIVED . THE PENNY DROPPED ! MORE SUNSHINE , MORE BIG DOLLAR CARS , MORE CONVERTIBLES , LOGICAL I GUESS ..........THEY WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE WEATHER IS GOING TO DO .
I HAD A LOOK AROUND AT THE BEST OF THE BEST ON DISPLAY ,AND FOUND MY CAR OF THE DAY AT 12.30PM A 1952 CADDY CONVERTIBLE IN WHITE WITH A WHITE ROOF AND SPOTLESS DEEP RED INTERIOR . HUUUGE THING , LIKE A WHALE , BUT DROPDEAD GORGEOUS...............WOW .
ANYWHO AT 2.30PM THE CAR OF THE DAY WAS ANNOUNCED , YEP , THE WHALE GOT IT .
I WISH I HAD PUT MONEY ON IT . I MIGHT GET AN INVITE TO BE HEAD JUDGE NEXT YEAR :lol: :lol:
THE DAY WAS CAPPED OFF WITH AN APPEARENCE OF FLETCH FROM CLASSIC RESTO'S (YOU KNOW ITCHY BUTT PRODUCTION) FILMING ALL THE CARS FOR AN UP COMING SHOW . HE STARTED WITH MY HUMPY CLUB SO MY OLD FJ UTE MIGHT GET A SHOWING(PROBABLY WAYOFF IN THE BACKGROUND)
BEHIND A VERY SHINY ,VERY LONELY ,VERY SPECIAL FJ PANELVAN THAT JUMPED OUT AT YA AND SHOULD BE ON TV I RECKON !

GREAT DAY OUT , CERTAINLY REVS MY ENGINE AND MOTIVATES ME ! :D

REGARDS ,
8-) MAURIE 8-)
jennison

Post by jennison »

Well done there fellas and congrats George on getting your vaux and VV on the winners list!
Looking forward to classic restos and the show.
I tried to get fletch to attend the VV nats at Mildura but unfortunately WE would have to meet his travel and accom costs as community TV has NO dough!
Shame :? :cry: Would have been a great bit of publicity for the VV movement :D
regards
jennison
griffin

Post by griffin »

Thanks Jennison,
Shame about Fletch at the Nationals :( I would have thought with all those vans going someone could have given him a lift and made him up a spare bunk :) maybe share him around ;)
Coledale might be a tempter :idea: :?: certainly closer to home for him.
Back at GM Day, the Corvette would have to be my take home car for the day, might even tow a plastic van.
Corvette a.jpg

Followed by the Opel GT (certainly no van towing) but a nice way to get around.
Opel 20GT a.jpg
'Young Harry' was popular on the day so I thought I might give hime a moments glory and add a photo of him too :roll: He is an 'Ice Cream Doll', from the 70's I think but his left hand and ice cream is missing if anyone has one lying around they don't want ;) I've since learned he has a sister too :!: He was abandoned on a pile of throw out stuff for the local council and I rescued him as I thought he would suit my Cyclops baby seat. He's a great lad to take out in the car :D never wants for anything and never complains - "Are we there yet?" The seat was actually used by my youngest brother who was born in 1957. It was likely second hand even then but none of the rest of us ever had one, he must have been special :P
Young Harry in Cyclops seat a.jpg

George