Little Nipper

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
freeway

Little Nipper

Post by freeway »

Hello all!
We picked up a new Vintage caravan today, a 1968 Norich Little Nipper 10 IV
We got him from his original owners, very well looked after and much loved van. Got bunks at the front, kitchen in the middle and table that makes a bed at the back.
We assume the 10 IV means 10 feet 4 berth, the lovely lady who owned him before said she and her husband went to 1968 caravan show and they liked the Norich vans so they bought one .
He's an S.A. van, bought somewhere on South road, but that's all that is known at the moment, hopefully some info will soon be found!
Just a quick picture to put up now, more will come soon.
Andrew and Liz
Last edited by freeway on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Re: Little Nipper

Post by Richard »

Hi Andrew and Liz.
What a great little find ! It is unusual with the 4 small windows at the front, and I havnt heard of Norich before. I would love to see some more shots and some of the inside as well.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
freeway

Post by freeway »

We haven't found anything out about Norich yet, but the draw bar says it was made by Gordon Tregoning Dad said that's Treg trailers so we'll call in there and see if we can find anything out. The four windows are for the bunks, it seems to be a fairly strange set-up but thats why we like it!

P.S. we haven't had a chance to take any pics of the bunks yet!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Andrew.
That IS a great little van, and the inside is in as good of condition as what the outside is.
Ill have a look through some of my caravan info and see if I can track anything down on the maker.

Cheers.
Richard.
mcanna

Post by mcanna »

Hi,
I was sent the link to the "Little Nipper" by a friend (who's a bit of a caravan'er himself)

Anyway... It was my Uncle (mother's brother) that manufactured (handmade) the Nipper's.
I'm not sure if my uncle has email (I think not) but I have metioned finding this post to my mother a she was quite amused, she made the original curtains and did the upolstry, she was also sure my uncle would interested to see it.
If you would like to contact my mother (Joy - email; jncanna@tpg.com.au ) I'm sure she would be happy to give you my uncles phone number.

Cheers
Matthew
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Mathew.
Thanks for that bit of information, we would love to get in contact with your mum and your uncle to find out a history of these vand and to see if Freeway can show him the van.

Cheers.
Richard.
freeway

Post by freeway »

Thank you very much Matthew!!!!!!!
Have sent a PM
Andrew & Liz
freeway

Post by freeway »

14 DAYS AROUND TASMANIA IN AN 1964 AUSTIN FREEWAY STATIONWAGON TOWING A 1968 10’ NORICH VINTAGE CARAVAN.

Well we are now married, we were married on the 26th of September 2010 which is exactly 3 year to the day we met on the Car club run no less!

On Monday the 27th we headed off to Melbourne in our Austin Freeway (A car i saved from being crushed about 7 years ago, it only had 38,000 miles on the clock! and we only put him back on the in may this year). Towing our 1968 10ft Norich Little Nipper Caravan that was made here in Adelaide.

We boarded the Spirit of Tasmania II in Melbourne on Tuesday the 28th to arrive in Devonport 6:30am Wednesday the 29th. It was a very rough trip over! Both Andrew & I where really worried that Freddy (Austin Freeway) and Ken (Norich Caravan) would not be where we left them as the sea was throwing the ship around like it was a empty water bottle in the ocean. But they tie the cars and vans down well because they hardly look shaken at all, wish i could have said the same about me.
Andrew & i did not have any real plans for our honeymoon in Tasmania except the fact we wanted to drive in our Freeway and tow the Vintage Van around! So we decided to head anti-clock wise around the state. We had a fantastic time, we both played in snow that we had never been in before and we of cause went to every Car Museum/Transport museum and Steam Museum we could find! Andrew liking his beer we went to every brewery along the way. The trip home was alot smoother & as we had "Just Married" written on the Caravan, the guy's on the Spirit of Tasmania got us the park where we where the first car off in Melbourne, so at 6:25am we where driving off the ship and continued all the way home to Adelaide.

We can strongly recommend this being the best way to see Tasmania! The mighty Blue Streak Six in the Austin Freeway has plenty of torque for towing the van up and down the mountains and ran like a dream! We can tell you that we say plenty of modern plastic cars not fairing up so well along the way.
Freeway & Norich in Tasmania.jpg
Freeway & Norich in Tasmania.jpg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
This photo was taken on the road between Queenstown & Hobart. (Frenchmans cap lookout)
griffin

Post by griffin »

Hi Freeway

Congratulations on tieing the knot, a great excuse to spend 14 days in Tassy, a fantastic place, and may all your future troubles be only 'Little Nippers' ;) :lol:

George