1949 Murray Moon Caravan ( Chrysties Museum Tocumwal )

A Photo History of old Family Caravanning photos or just old photos of caravans.
Richard

1949 Murray Moon Caravan ( Chrysties Museum Tocumwal )

Post by Richard »

MURRAY MOON CARAVAN.

Built by George Osborne Davis.

( Born 23 January 1903 and Died 26 September 1986 aged 83 )

After getting the idea from an American magazine George started building his caravan in 1944. This was the first pop up caravan to be built in Australia and took a total of 5 years to complete.

The caravan spent a lot of time camping around the Murray River, hence its name "Murray Moon". One of the most freuently visited spots on the Murray by George and his wife Emily, and three children Gwen, Norma and Graeme in the van was near a little town called Boundry Bend, in fact the locals eventually named the spot "Murray Moon Corner". The caravan also travelled to numerous other places throughout Victoria, as far as Cairns, Sydney and Adelaide.

A point of interest on the van is the Jockey wheel which was originally used on a gun turret, and a rifle stock as a table leg. Gwen the oldest of Georges children can really vouch for the workmanship and suspension on the caravan as she spent her honeymoon in the van.

In the early days when the caravan travelled it attracted alot of attention due to its unusual look especially when it was in the down position. The most common comment from the general public was "it must belong to dwarfs", but now a days people just think you have alot of greyhounds to race.

Graeme getting ready to wind the handle that will lift the top section of the van up.
Murray Moon 6.jpg
The caravan in the fully "up" position.
Murray Moon 4.jpg
George and Graeme pose for the camera.
Murray Moon 2.jpg
Murray Moon 1.jpg
Murray Moon 5.jpg
George and Emilies three children, Gwen (standing on step), Norma and Graeme.
Murray Moon 3.jpg
Murray Moon 8.jpg
Gwen posing for the camera at the dressing table in the van. The caption that Gwen wrote for the photo was "see my engagement ring shinning".
Murray Moon 7.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
jennison

Re: 1949 Murray Moon Caravan ( Chrysties Museum Tocumwal )

Post by jennison »

Lovely old van but Chrysties claim of the first pop top (or up)is incorrect. Apart from my grandfathers patented wind up pop top in 1935 there is that 1930s one currently on show in SA used by that duch?/aust artist(whose name escapes me) and the 1928 one found and purchased by Reddo just recently
regards
jennison
griffin

Post by griffin »

The Murray Moon is a nice piece of work :D I'd be happy to call mine :!:

I think Jennison is referring to Hans Heysen's van, a photo of it with A model Ford 8-) can be seen here http://www.caravanandcampingsa.com.au/p ... ent2id=279

I recently purchased these two photos of an early pop top on eBay, an Adelaide van according to the vendor. It looks to be an early piece of work, I would think somewhat older than the early 30s Ford tow vehicle and certainly pre date the Murray Moon.
File0994.jpg
File0995.jpg
File0996.jpg
Old mate doesn't look like a very happy camper :( but I guess the shovel without a handle makes hard work of it :!:
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here are some more recent photos of the Murray Moon caravan that is at Chrysties Museum.
Murray Moon 1.jpg
Murray Moon 2.jpg
Murray Moon 3.jpg
An interior shot of the Murray Moon with the only thing missing on the van is the original ice chest.
Murray Moon 4.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Inside the van looking towards the front.
Murray Moon 5.jpg
Murray Moon 5a.jpg
Looking towards the rear.
Murray Moon 5b.jpg
The unusual table leg.
Murray Moon 5c.jpg
This is the dressing table that Gwen sat at while flashing her engagement ring.
Murray Moon 5d.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

This is just an example of some of the thought that George put into constructing this van, these are little moon features that hold the curtain wires.

The power cord for the roof lights is pushed back into the wall cavity when the van is lowered.

The winding mechanism that raises the van. The middle rod is wound which turns the 2 cogs which then winds the 4 wire cables that raises the van.

One of the front cables that raises the roof section, and also one of the pads that the roof rests on when it in the down position.