Our New Zealand Trip.

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
Richard

Our New Zealand Trip.

Post by Richard »

A few weeks ago Linda had organised a quick business trip over to New Zealand, so I couldnt miss the opportunity to tag along. The plan was to fly to Christchurch, hire a car and drive down the East coast to Invercargil then up the West coast back to Christchurch. Linda would have to attend a couple of meetings along the way so that would give me the opportunity to have a look around and to peer over a few fences on the look out for some of New Zealands elusive Historic Caravans.
We had been to New Zealand a couple of years ago on our honey moon, but we didnt see much in the way of old caravans.

On our way South we stopped at the Ashburton Vintage Car Club Museum to have a look around. It is a fabulous little museum run by the members of the car club. With the main reason I wanted to stop there was that I had heard that they had an old motorised caravan.
It turned out to be a 1926 international truck with a body that had been built by the late John Britten in the late 70's and early 80's.
International Camper..jpg
International Camper Inside..JPG
International Camper Board.JPG
The museum also has this very original International station wagon. How would this look travelling along the road with an Airstream caravan in tow ?
International Stationwagon..jpg
I almost forgot to add this photo of a very original early car that the museum has.
Model T.jpg
I came across this old caravanning photo stuck to a shop window in Timaru, I couldnt work out why it was there as it was a homewares shop and there were no other photos with it.
NZ Camping photo..JPG

Lots more to come.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
koala400au

Re: Our New Zealand Trip.

Post by koala400au »

Hi Richard, With my wife being an ex Kiwi we have had a few trips to NZ over the years. This year we fly to Christchurch and will travel across to the west coast at Greymouth and then travel down to Wanaka for Xmas Day then move on to Dunedin where Judy was born. We then come back up the East coast to Christchurch. Seems to me a lot of touring history in NZ with some good museums such as you found.

Koala
1969 Franklin Freeway 16
1964 Wayfarer 18
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Ken.
You are going to do the exact opposite trip to what Linda and I did.
For the size of the country, New Zealand has some fabulous museums.

Cheers.
Richard.
Richard

Post by Richard »

We then headed South down to Invercargil where I found these 3 older vans sitting in the back corner of a caravan park in storage. They probably dont classify as Historic Caravans but I would say that even these vans are getting harder to find in New Zealand.
Sprite..jpg
Zephyr..jpg
Blue Van..jpg
Since Invercargil is about as far South as you can go, we then started to head North up the West coast to Queenstown, the action capital of New Zealand. If you want to go jet boating, :shock: bungy jumping :shock: or swinging like a pendulum :? then this is the place to do it, but since we were on a tight schedule I didnt have time to do any of that. :D

Still heading North we came across this combination in a carpark at Wanaka. We waited a while for the owner but they didnt turn up, the van was a bit unusual as it was clad in tin and had a rear side door.
Land Rover and Blue Van 1..jpg
Land Rover and Blue Van 2..jpg

A little further out of Wanaka we stopped at the Wanaka Transport and Toy Museum , and what a great museum this is. As the name suggests they have a huge collection of cars, trucks ,motorbikes and toys for all ages.

They have one lonely FJ in their collection.
Wanaka FJ Holden.jpg
This nice looking old van.
Wanaka Blue Van..jpg

As well as this old bus that would make a very unusual motor home. :D
Wanaka Bus.jpg
Still heading North on our way back to Christchurch we found this Liteweight Caravan in yet another caravan park.
Liteweight..JPG
Liteweight Badge..JPG
More to come.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have finally found the time to finish off our trip to NZ.

Still heading back to Christchurch we found this old ply van in a paddock in the middle of nowhere.
Green Van..jpg
Then a little further down the road we found this great old caravan in a riverside caravan park.
Grey Van 1.jpg
Grey Van 2.jpg
We finally made our way back to Christchurch, and while Linda was busy I headed off to the
Yaldhurst Museum where they have a great collection of cars and memorabilia but sadly no caravans.

They do have this old bus that reminded me of a photo I have of Mum and Dad on their honeymoon in Katoomba lined up along side a very similar bus.
Old Bus.jpg