Motor Caravans. ( mobile homes.)

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Re: Motor Caravans. ( mobile homes.)

Post by griffin »

Francis Birtles was a well known cyclist, explorer, author and photographer who trans-versed Australia in the early 1920s on a bicycle and several makes of cars. He also was the first person to drive from London to Australia, driving a Bean car in 1927.
In early 1935 he married for the second time and set off on an extended honeymoon in a purpose built Ford motor caravan, and in all covered 5,000 miles during his five month trip. This article from the Western Mail (Perth) 21-11-1935 gives some details and photo of the caravan. It was a magnificent machine, and I'm surprised it does not seem to have survived given the significance of the owner. His Bean car is on display in the National Museum Canberra.
Birtles caravan 7e - Western Mail (Perth) 21-11-1935.jpg
Birtles caravan 7e - Western Mail (Perth) 21-11-1935.jpg (117.06 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Griffin had posted this article back in September 2011 about a "fifth wheel" motor home built from an aircraft fuselage.
Laze Away.jpg
I just happened to be reading this months Vintage Caravan magazine and noticed something simillar for sale in this ad. :shock: :shock:
Laze Away Ad.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I do have a bit of a soft spot for these old Commers.
Commer 1.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

We spent a few days up the coast a little while back and took a drive to Shoal Bay where this very unusual camper was parked.
TD front.jpg
Of course I had to take a few photos and we hung about for a while hoping the owner might return but no luck there.
There was nothing to indicate the brand and I thought it might have been a custom made unit, the badge on the bonnet (or is it a boot?) offering nothing in the way of name and only created more puzzles in my mind given the components of the badge.
TD badge.jpg
The whole thing is very well made and if it's a one off customised job then it's very professional. The longer I thought about it I reckoned it was a Japanese conversion, everything is so well done, just check out the supports for the front mirrors! The other clue is this sticker on the back window.
TD sticker.jpg
I was pleased to find that it still has a registration sticker which indicated it was a Toyota Dyna.
TD rear.jpg
I subsequently 'Googled' to see if I could find something but just drew a blank. And what about the rear lights, loverly I think! I felt it was so interesting it needed to be added to the Forum for posterity.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have a bit of a soft spot for the old Land Rovers and I was surprised to see this British built Carawagon for sale in Queensland. The conversions were done by R.J.Searle of Land Rover Camper Conversions.
Its a very basic conversion using the existing Land Rover roof and adding a seat/bed to one side in the rear and a cupboard and sink on the other.
Carawagon 1.JPG
Carawagon 2.JPG
Carawagon 3.JPG
Richard

Post by Richard »

A couple of very unusual VW Kombi motor homes that have recently come up for sale on ebay.
Not sure if they were Australian built or recent imports.
Kombi 1.JPG
Kombi 2.JPG
griffin

Post by griffin »

Crikey, I don't think I'd like to be pushing that last one into a headwind on the Nullabor!

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes George not sure whats happening there but it seems a little top and front heavy.

Here another unusual ebay find. This time a forward control Land Rover.
Just quietly id love one of these. :D :D
Land Rover.JPG
griffin

Post by griffin »

Each to his own Richard, it's as ugly as a 'hatful' but if you like it, hope you can track one down.

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yep it has a face only a mother could love but I just like it. :D :D