Motor Caravans. ( mobile homes.)

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Motor Caravans. ( mobile homes.)

Post by Richard »

A couple of months ago I ran into a gentlemen who knew alot of information on the Propert Motor Body Works, and it turned out that he owns a replica 1930's motor caravan that is currently in America after an extended trip in it.

He also had alot of brochures on American Motor Caravans from the 1920's and the 1930's.

The next 3 images are for the Zagelmeyer Kamper Car, interesting to note that the roof section raises as the side beds are lowered.
Zagelmeyer 1.jpg
Zagelmeyer 2.jpg
Zagelmeyer 3.jpg
With the image below for the Kamper Sedan.
Kamper sedan.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Motor Caravans. ( mobile homes.)

Post by Richard »

Plan for a 1930's Mobile home with an unusual sleeper that is lowered over the bonnet.
Motor Home Plan.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Commer 1.jpg
Commer 2.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

I found this 1950 article on a mobile home built for the Kleinig family. Its sleeps 10 adults and 1 child, and has a top speed of 20 miles per hour with caravan in tow. :shock: :shock:
Motorhome 50.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's another of Mr. Kleinig's motor home creations from Modern Motor, February, 1950.
Kleinig motor home  MM Feb 1950.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

1920's Motor Caravan article which looks to me to be French. :roll: I like the art deco styling around the top of the page. :D :D
1920s Mobile Home..jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

While messing about on the Trove site recently I ran across this interesting motor caravan in England. I thought it was quite a stylish outfit for the time, built on an Erskine Chassis.
Road Yacht - Sunday Times (Perth) 11-12-1927.jpg
Road Yacht - Sunday Times (Perth) 11-12-1927.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
2-The Mail (Adelaide) 4-2-1928.jpg
2-The Mail (Adelaide) 4-2-1928.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
6-Western Mail (Perth) 5-1-1928.jpg
6-Western Mail (Perth) 5-1-1928.jpg (65.87 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

While researching various subjects on Trove recently I found the following 1927 advertisement for a Bean 'Cruiser', a purpose built motor caravan ready to roll. There were plenty of motor caravans on the road by this time but this is the first time I've found an agent or distributor offering one 'off the shelf'. The advertisement is really artistic I think with a nice map of Australia and various things to see as you toured about, enough to entice anyone I would think.
Sydney Morning Herald 19-1-1927.jpg
Sydney Morning Herald 19-1-1927.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Twelve months later one was exhibited at the Sydney Motor Show and as a result there was a photograph and a write up, again in the Sydney Morning Herald.
Sydney Morning Herald 14-1-1928 Bean Cruiser at Motor Show.JPG
I wonder if how many were ever built. Bean was an English maker who produced cars and then trucks for a short while. According to on line references truck production ceased in 1931, cars a little earlier.

The Sunday Times (Perth) published an English photo titled 'Cruiser' on the 14-3-1928 which does not state the brand but upon reading the description given of the Bean 'Cruiser' from the SMH it would appear to be identical in layout and style and is probably also a Bean.
11-sunday Times (Perth) 4-3-1928.jpg
11-sunday Times (Perth) 4-3-1928.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
A very interesting little machine, it would be nice to find one languishing in a shed and bring it back to life.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

While catching up on some filing the other day I found I had copied an article years ago from “The Motor in Australia” relating to a Vauxhall exhibit at the Sydney Motor Show in 1928. It also contained an item on the Bean Caravan with a couple of photos which are much better quality than those from the newspapers.
Bean - The Motor in Australia Feb, 1928-c.jpg
The following notes in the article were written by Mr. Lee Murray, A.M.AeE., who was described as 'a well known consulting engineer.'

“A large crowd of people next attracted my attention to the Bean caravan. This is a splendid idea. When travelling along the road the Bean caravan might be just an ordinary square box truck, but as soon as the campers decide to stop for the night, the centre of the rood is raised to allow head room, while the two sides fold out, giving ample bunk clearance – they say, for four people, although I think that possibly two people would be a better camping party and allow more room, unless one added a tent for sleepers, to the equipment. One thing in this vehicle is decidedly missing, and that is the second seat next to the driver. Sitting sideways when bumping over round country must be very tedious at the end of a long day’s run when there is no side support for the arms. It must be also be realised that part of the pleasure obtained from travelling in a caravan, such as this, must be journeying into parts which are unfrequented and consequently there would be little or no good roads.”
Bean interior - The Motor in Australia Feb, 1928-c.jpg
The interior photo shows quite clearly a luxurious swivelling drivers seat with the folding bunk in the background and I should think Mr. Murray’s comments in regard to the passengers comfort were well founded.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

My brother, who is a Pontiac fan, sent me this photo he found on an American Pontiac Club website. An interesting conversion of what would have once been a 1936 Pontiac sedan into a motor caravan.
It would certainly turn heads and create interest.
36 Pontiac.jpg
36 Pontiac.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
George