Chesney Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Re: Chesney.

Post by Richard »

I had an email From Steve K_____ last week enquiring whether or not I would be interested in a 1970's 62 page Chesney catalogue. I quickly replied and Steve has kindly donated the catalogue to the National Caravan Museum.
Chesney Catalogue.jpg
From Steve.

Richard,

In the mail to you today (Express Post because that’s what was handy), so probably should arrive tomorrow.

Since you have the museum I thought some provenance might be useful:

This came with a van we purchased I think in 1998 and have since sold. It was 1974 vintage, 16', had single axle and 6 berths - 4 singles 2 above 2 at the rear and the table at the front that converted to a double.

We bought it (because we couldn’t find one to rent) for a family holiday from Brisbane to Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide then home, with many stops on the way. We joined the top and bottom berths together so we had a queen bed at the top and similar at the bottom. The 3 kids were on the bottom and as our daughter was quite young she could fit with the centre cupboard still in place and it saved having to drop the table and make up the bed each night.

It came with everything still in place - an annexe, steps, skirt, spare tyre, crockery (china), cutlery, tea towels, etc and of course this catalogue! - I think it was a deceased estate and so the family just sold it was it was.

We towed it with a Nissan Patrol and it rode really well without the need for sway bars (they were included too). Eventually I decided to swap the axle to below the springs to raise it to match the Patrol which worked well. It had mechanical brakes that worked well.

We progressively broke all the china by forgetting to close the cupboards, broke a window because it wasn’t latched properly, etc, but that’s all part of the process i’m sure.

As it was quite old the particleboard interior was degrading at the slightest sniff of moisture and all the plastic fittings were gradually failing and it leaked a bit in a few places - all typical!

We kept if for quite a few years after the initial trip using it for many beach holidays and trips to the Bunyas etc. It then went to a friends farm whilst they built a house and they then sold it for me in 2005 to a fellow who took it out west as quarters for shearing.

Regards
Steve

Photos of Steve's Chesney.
Chesney 1.jpg
Chesney 2.jpg
Chesney 3.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Re: Chesney Caravans.

Post by Richard »

1967 edition of the Australian Caravan featuring a Chesney Regal.
Aus Caravan.jpg
Aust aravan 1.jpg
The article on the Chesney Aeroframe. It is also interesting to note that the last paragraph indicates that the company started shortly after 1945.
Aust Caravan 2.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

1972 vintage caravan magazine advert for the Chesney Regal.
Chesney.JPG
griffin

Post by griffin »

Found this photo of a Chesney 'whopper' in Camping and Caravans from Paul Hamlyn, printed in 1973. I wonder what ever happened to Paul Hamlyn publishing? It seemed like they had their name on everything years ago. There is quite a bit of info on caravanning, but no particular acknowledged author of the 7 or 8 who contributed to the book.
Chesney tri axle-c.jpg
There was no further information on this particular van but the general text referred to a 45 mph speed limit applicable for towing vans and this in relation to larger vans; "Thirty feet represents the longest practical van for touring use because regulations in most States limit total length of car and van to 50ft. A longer combination can be used only with a special permit, issued each time it takes to the road."

And you would need to employ someone to keep the windows clean!

George
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Windows? How`d you be having to polish the aluminium.And what size jack would be needed if you got a flat? Probably need 'roadside "assistants"'!
griffin

Post by griffin »

Just noticed a typo there that I've corrected, max outfit length is 50ft! It looks like a block of flats on wheels and I don't think I'd be keen to perform any maintenance on it. Wonder where it finished up though??

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Griffin and DC3TD
That is one huge van and would have to be the longest caravan that I have seen in Australia.
Wonder how the FJ Holden would go towing this one. :lol: :lol:
DC3TD

Post by DC3TD »

Reckon you`d have to twin turbo the `van to help push the Fj along!
Richard

Post by Richard »

1971 ad for the New Chesney range.
It also mentions that the Regal model even has a boot, again something that is thought to be a modern innovation was available in 1971.
Chez 71.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Another 1971 vintage caravan ad for Chesney caravans.
Chez 71 2.JPG