Carapark Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Re: Carapark Caravans.

Post by griffin »

Here's some photos of a friends Superb that he has on his property in use as storage. I haven't been able to convince him to get it under a bit of cover yet.

I don't know the year or if it was originally built for the commercial use it appears to have had as it was full of stuff, the servery type opening is well done. It's the only Carapark I've seen with all it's stickers.

For some years I had one myself for storing car parts and I intended to convert it into a darkroom but a severe hail storm broke all the windows and when I had to move some time later I gave it to a friend who broke it up for scrap. It had been the canteen at Maldon Cement Works near Picton for years and then used as a crib room and had about an inch of solid cement on the roof.

This one fared much better and will hopefully survive.
Carapark Superb front-c.JPG
Carapark Superb rear-c.JPG
Carapark Superb - front sticker-c.JPG
Carapark rear sticke-cr.JPG
CArapark Superb sticker-side-c.JPG
Any idea of the age of this one?

George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
I have been scrounging through my archives and came across this Carapark that was said to be a 1957, which I think is roughly correct and would be about the same age as the one in your photos.
Carapark 57.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Carapark Hunter Junior at McFeaters Motor Museum Forbes.

griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's a couple of advertisements from 1952.
Carapark AMMm Sept 1952-c.jpg
Carapark AMMM Oct 52-c.jpg
And another from 1954.
Carapark AMMA - 1954c.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Two more items relating to Carapark, the first from 1952 showing frame and chassis.
Carapark AMMM Nov 52-c.jpg
The second I found much more interesting. From a copy of Australian Ford News acquired as part of a recent ebay purchase and dated November 1939. According to the editorial it was a monthly publication available through newsagents and not just an 'in house' publication. Of course I'm very much a GMH man and this inadvertent purchase has proved very interesting. Not in the least because of the following advert for Caravan Park showing a range of different size models, all seemingly with the name "Mobile Home" and the rates applicable for their hire. I also found it interesting that the model sizes represented the length, approx weight and hp of the vehicle required to tow it. It seems you could even hire the attachment for the car although maybe it was just the ball?
The most interesting piece of information is in bold at the bottom, vans were exhibited as part of the N.R.M.A. Caravan Exhibition from 16th to 21st of October. Although a bit late to promote in the November issue I dare say the N.R.M.A. would have given the exhibition coverage in their 'Open Road' publication, the mission now is to find a copy and see what other vans were available!
Carapark. A Forn News Nov 1939.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

This advertisement for Caravan Park from N.R.M.A. Open Road dated 1 June, 1939 featuring a bevvy of swimsuit clad beauties and a big Chrysler or Oldsmobile to tow them and the van about in style.

George
Carapark. Open Road June 1939.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

This advertisement for Caravan Park is from the N.R.M.A. Open Road dated Dec 14, 1939. Nice bit of artwork with a lovely stylised van on right. Oh to be able to borrow the Tardis and take a bit of a trip back in time and have a look around the yard.
Caravan Park NRMA Open Road Dec 14, 1939-C.jpg
The photo below is part of a photo taken at the N.R.M.A. Camping and Caravan Exhibition in November 1939, published in the Open Road Nov. 2, 1939 and posted in full under the Propert thread.
The photos on the first page of this thread are from the same event and it's good to see there are some good quality photos surviving. Nice curved awning on the van in the background.
Caravan Park N.R.M.A.  Open Road 2-11-1939.JPG
Caravan Park N.R.M.A. Open Road 2-11-1939.JPG (42.36 KiB) Viewed 23583 times
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

A 1958 Carapark flyer showing the model range for the steel framed aluminium clad caravans produced for that year, which features 2 new models for the ten-nine range.
Carapark 58.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

This nice colour photo was part of an advert for Keith Winser's 1955 Caravan and Touring Manual. It was on the inside cover of Modern Motor 15 Jan 1955.
The strange vertical lines is just ink bleed from 'Modern Motor' on the other side.
AMMM Jan 15, 1955 Carapark detail-c.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Another advert for Carapark from Motor Manual, March, 1953. They seem to have kept someone in the art and advertising department busy.
Carapark AMMM Mar 1953-c.jpg
George