Kylie and Dales Teardrop

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Bates

Kylie and Dales Teardrop

Post by Bates »

Thought we would put some photos up of mine and Kylies Teardrop, we bought it off mum and dad earlier this year. They had recently picked it up off ebay.
After getting it home for a quick fixup :roll: Kylie ripped it into a million pieces, down to the bare frame, sanded off the paint and oiled the frame. I then decided it was time to stop my projects for a bit and get involved.

We decided to do it a bit different and use a slated roof for a unique look, was not as easy as I thought it would be. We routed a recess around the frame and made infill panels which we could paint off the van to make a nice contrast to the stained timber.

The roof has a 4 mm space all the way around it to insulate the van slightly and hopefully stop condensation. We then flattened off the sides as it was pretty up and down, fitted the new sides with the best quality ply I could source in that large size.

After making a new door that overlapped I realised I hated the look so remade it to fit flush, Kylie has worked really hard doing all the sanding and painting up to this stage.

Unfortunately we have put it on hold while we do a RHD conversion on our 51 Chev, hopefully we will get back to it soon.
Thanks for looking

I have some pics of a unrestored small Don, old wayfarer and a small pathfinder we found but cant find the pictures :twisted: there here somewhere

franklyn

Re: Kylie and Dales Teardrop

Post by franklyn »

Hello Dale.
Top little tear drop, I have been looking for one of these for about a year now and as you probably all ready know they are very hard to come by.
I like what you have done with the inside roof lining.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted with any progress photographs

Franklyn.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Kylie and Dale.
I really like your little tear-drop. It look's as tho it was in good nic before you started the restoration. I also like the way you are finishing the ceiling inside, I have seen a 1930's caravan that has the same type of slats over the roof but they are used to form the roof shape and then a layer of light canvas is "painted in" over the top.
Keep up the good work and dont forget those progress shots.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
sportsman1

Post by sportsman1 »

Hi guys,

wondered what you had been up to since selling the Hawthorn. You have obviously been busy.

It is looking the goods already :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Keep up the good work and keep those photos coming.

Cheers, Leigh.
sarah

Post by sarah »

:o Looks like a really big job, though its great that you are planning the renovation together. Really looking forward to seeing the progress and updated photos as you go.
Bates

Post by Bates »

been awhile but it has finally been finished off
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Dale and Kylie.
Great job on the teardrop. I especially love all of the chrome trim on the outside. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: nicely done without going too overboard.

Cheers.
Richard
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
mrfj55

Post by mrfj55 »

GREAT JOB ON THEIR LITTLE T D .
CLASS , YOU EITHER HAVE IT OR YOU DONT .
I CAN SEE WHERE THEY GET THEIR STYLING CUES FROM , THAT "SPLICE" TEARDROP IN THE BACKGROUND .
FANTASTIC EXAMPLES OF JUST HOW GOOD ORIGINAL VINTAGE TEARDROP CAN BE BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE ........... INSPIRATIONAL !

REGARDS ,
8-) MAURIE 8-)