Sportsman 1's S.A. Clipper

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
sportsman1

Sportsman 1's S.A. Clipper

Post by sportsman1 »

Here are some photos of my 1955 South Australian Clipper. 11ft 6in long, rode very high with the original 7.00 16 truck tyres on landrover rims. I thought it would just need a quick tidy up but when we got it home and had a good look at it we decided to fix it up a bit. I know I am too fussy but it really did need a bit done to it and each little thing has lead to another bigger job :( :(. Still, as we intend to use it we wanted it to be right from the start.

Kitchen is across the front, lots of cupboards!

It has a meat safe above the ice chest. Anyone else have a meat safe built into their van?

Single beds and a fold out 3 piece table at the back.

It has a fixed porthole above the oven and an opening porthole above the gas cooker.

Look what I found when I opened the door :?: The Clipper logo inlaid in the lino 8-) 8-) 8-)

Even the light fittings have the Clipper logo moulded into them.

Restoration is under way. New brake axle, wheels and tyres. New sheeting outside, rewired, etc. Hope to have it finished by Christmas.

Cheers, Leigh.
Richard

Re: Sportsman 1's S.A. Clipper

Post by Richard »

Hi Leigh.
That is a great little Clipper you have there. I have been admiring the photos of this van ever since it was on ebay. It is not that often that the caravan manufactures add little touches like the the logo on the light cover or the Clipper inlaid floor . You are lucky that the floor looks to be in good nick, as a lot of the lino's used deteriorated over time with wear.
Restorations all take time so keep at it and we will look forward to some progress photos.

Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.