transporting non towable vans

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
noddy

transporting non towable vans

Post by noddy »

I'm very new at this and totally clueless.

Anyway I am keen on a little van that is for sale almost 600k from where I live. I am told you wouldn't want to tow it very far as tires are not to hot. So I was wondering what others experience is with getting a van moved. Do you use 'carriers' or do most of you have trailers of your own or hire trailers. I am thinking I would probably prefer to organise a carrier as possibly the simplest option but would consider other alternatives.

If anyone has used a commercial carrier recently I'd be interested in hearing their experiences, who they used, costs etc. I am in rural NSW not too far from Canberra and the van is in country Victoria. I am assured there is no hurry on the sellers part to have the van moved.

Thanks all in advance.
Noddy
DC3TD

Re: transporting non towable vans

Post by DC3TD »

Hi Noddy & welcome. Relatively new to vin vans myself, but you have a couple or so choices. As you said,get it trailered - cost of hiring & returning trailer. Get a flat bed tow truck to do it - more costs. Friends trailer?,some beer money. Or, as the `van needs new tyres, ask the Seller what type/size of wheels are currently fitted.Get a pair of tyres to suit,rip off the old ones & fit new tyres. You`d have to do it sooner or later anyways. Check the `van tow ball size, grab a Permit from your local Roads & Traffic Authority (rta) that allows you to tow the unregistered `van home. Oh,and check that the `van lights work too as well as all the cupboard doors,windows & if it has a roof hatch are secured so they don`t fly open/off. Bit of duct tape should suffice if needed.Good luck & look forward to seeing what `van you`ve bought. cheers gordon
noddy

Post by noddy »

Thanks Gordon,

Yes I considered changing the tyres as an option, I just wasn't sure you could tow an unregistered van and thanks for the duct tape tips. I know the lights don't work but apparently to can buy a light board as well, just something else to look into.

I want to make sure that when if I go down to pick it up myself, I am well armed/prepared so I don't get stuck hanging around for 'things' to be done before I can move it. Still all part of the adventure I guess.

cheers
:)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Noddy.
Dc3TD is pritty right , the easiest way to move the van would be to put new tyres on and get a blue slip then a permit to move.
But if the van isnt suitable to tow the next option would be to hire a car trailer and go and pick it up. You will need to make sure that your tow car is capable of towing 1.2 to 1.5 ton as a car trailer weighs 600 to 800 kg plus the weight of the van. I have found this the easiest way for me to pick a van up as it doesnt matter if it roadworthy or not.
Or you could try and organise a back load with a car carrier, but I think ( I havnt had a price for transport in a while ) it would cost at least $800 to $1000 to get it picked up and Transported to you. Reddo may be able to shed a bit more light on this as I think he knows a car carrier.

Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.