Caravan Accessories and Spares Supplier Ads.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Re: Caravan Accessories and Spares Supplier Ads.

Post by griffin »

I hope this 1976 advert for Caravan Accessories Pty Ltd isn't too modern for the Forum but I thought it has some interesting little bits. The pole hangers, Clipsac and anodised tow ball covers all slipped by me unnoticed at some stage. I did own a Pyramid Toaster but it 'burnt out' over time. One was presented recently on 'Collectors' as the mystery object and it had the punters mystified, maybe I'm just showing my age :(
Caravan Accessories -  Open Road Dec 1976.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

A very interesting 1967 article on the Smith exhaust brake.
Brake..jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

An advert for Westco from the N.R.M.A. Camping and Caravanning Guide 1962-3. The "Super" override kit looks like a heavy beast!
Wesco C & CG 1962-3-c.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

I was recently given a little 10 foot van that was way beyond repair. So being the bower bird that I am I stripped the van and kept all of the usable items which always come in handy when restoring vans.
The little van had 4 wind down scissor type legs, one on each corner, after I cut them off the chassis I was surprised to find that they still had the original Dymwood label on them.
Dymwood 1.JPG
The Dymwood label close up.
Dymwood 2.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
griffin

Post by griffin »

This advertisement for Central Spring Works at South Melbourne was published in the Garage and Service Station Gazette in September 1937. It shows that they were offering a complete chassis for caravans with the frame, axle, springs and wheels as well as an unusual type of coupling called the "Alligator Grip". I wonder if there someone can turn up a copy of the 'nice little brochure' referred to in the text.
Central Spring Works - G & SSG Sept 1937.jpg
Henderson's Federal Spring Works seems to have been an equivalent in Sydney and they too offered axles and springs pre-war but I've not yet seen other caravan components offered by them although they offered the whole thing post-war.

George
griffin

Post by griffin »

While sorting some stuff I found I had an advertisement for the Alligator Grip coupling referred to in the above item about the Central Spring Works. This was published in the Australian Caravan Magazine in 1938 but looks different to the coupling on the chassis above.
Central Springs 1938 ACM-c.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Here's another supplier who offered the whole kit with a steel frame, but not a complete van it seems.
From Home Beautiful handbook of Caravans and Boats, exact date unknown but post war.
Home Beautiful C-Pac Steel-c.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

An item from 'Caravans and Boats' published by Home Beautiful, for Henderson's Federal Spring Works caravan chassis. No date on my copy but it is post war. The reference to 'saving petrol' might indicate petrol rationing was still in force? And, how short is that drawbar?
Home Beautiful - Hendersons-c.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

From the same Home Beautiful 'Caravan and Boats' publication is this advertisement showing they even covered the kitchen sink.
Home Beautiful Keable -c.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Time for a more modern accessory, a TV aerial, simple little item I find frustrating to the extreme today, so who knows what reception you got with this little beauty, and only $9.50 :lol:
From The Open Road, 1 February, 1969.
Antenna Open Rd 1-2-69.jpg
George