Jennison Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
griffin

Re: Jennison Caravans.

Post by griffin »

This Jennison advert is from the N.R.M.A. Open Road dated May 4, 1939 and uses the same photo as in previous adverts with the lantern roof model.
Jennison- Open Road - May 4, 1939-c.jpg
Also in the same issue was the following piece stating that J.A. Jennison had joined the manufacturers of 'Nomad' caravans, Transport Engineering Co.
Nomad 1 OR May 4, 1939-c.jpg
Nomad 1 OR May 4, 1939-c.jpg (119.64 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
I've posted this item to the 'Nomad' thread too. On the same page as the Jennison advert was an ad for Nomad, all a little confusing to me.
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

A later advertisement for Jennison Pathfinder from the N.R.M.A. Camping and Caravanning Guide for 1962-3. I think the earlier ones were more stylish myself. Does anyone know when the last Pathfinders were made?
Interesting that the last paragraph mentions conversions for Commer and VW vans, I wonder how many were done and if any survive?
Jennison NRMA 62-63-c.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

1958 colour ad for Jennison Caravans, Australias Finest Caravan.
Jennison 58.jpg
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
Richard

Post by Richard »

1958 ad for the aluminium Jennison Pathfinder 12 ft model.
Jennison 58.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

This nice little advert for Jennison Pathfinder model 13 is from Motor Manual, 1 June, 1959. The colour scheme seems to have changed from the 1958 colour advert which still had the painted wheel spat effect and the line around the waist, although I think the same photo had been around for a while. The old style scheme probably didn't suit the aluminium van and angular designs were coming more into vogue.
Jennison AMMM June 1959.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

A couple more Jennison items.

Firstly the Jennison caravan dog kennel, a must for every Jennison owner, although they may have only built the one, to go with the family that toured Europe in a Jennison in the mid 50s. It would compliment the child's pedal car van shown in one of the early posts.
This photo is from one of the articles supplied for Modern Motor, February 1958 issue. One of these days I'll get the rest of the articles, I only have a few so far.
Jennison dog kennel - Modern Motor Feb 1958-c.JPG
Second item is a small advert from Motor Manual 1 September, 1955 which makes mention that they now have aluminium body and window frames, but it still has the early style painted wheel spat and straight line around the waist.
Jennison Pathfinder - fmm 1-9-1955.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi George.
That reminds me. I have photos somewhere of a little plywood Jennison Caravan that was built to be used behind a pedal car, same as the one in the Jennison colour ad.
Cheers.

1965 Jennison Pathfinder President article.
Jennison 65.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

My hours spent researching various topics on Trove have turned up another unexpected treasure in regard to Jennison. This small advert from The Advertiser (Adelaide) 10 September, 1935, is the first I've found with his name on it. The image is cropped slightly on the right and reads 'wire wheels'.
46-The Advertiser (Adelaide) 10-9-1935 (jennison).jpg
46-The Advertiser (Adelaide) 10-9-1935 (jennison).jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

The 1935 Patent applied for by John Jennison.
Jen Pat 1.jpg
Jen Pat 2.jpg
Jen Pat 3.jpg
Jen Pat 4.jpg
jennison

Post by jennison »

Hi Richard,
interesting stuff aye. I too have copies of the patent(or did I send these to you way back)
I also have a full extract of the articles by the family who did the world trip in the jennison pathfinder and if you want them to put on site I can email them to you.
The pedal car van photos you have I am pretty sure were the ones I took of Bob Shannons, a once regular contributor to VV.com.
I have not seen him post for ages which is a shame as he has the best collection of VV and old motoring mags I have ever seen....absolutely huge.
as an aside ...Griffin I will pass on his contact details to you if I can find them as he would probably be a big help with your research.
PS I would kill to add his pedal car pathfinder to my personal fleet but it was his as a boy and he fondly remembers carting his 5 yr old sister around in it....DEFINITELY not for sale :(
regards
jeff
PPS re: The 16 footer featured in the 1955 add where they mention aluminium window frames etc(just below the dog kennel shot) is I am pretty sure, a much earlier model (a 1948/52 bondy) as it appears to still have the smaller timber framed windows .......and is that a porthole or a shadow I wonder.