Nomad Caravans.

A History of Caravan Manufacturers in Australia.
Richard

Nomad Caravans.

Post by Richard »

Nomad Caravans.
Transport Engineering Co.
321-325 Pacific Highway.
North Sydney.
Nomad.jpg
I recieved this little brochure from the ABC Collectors Program after a very kind, anonymous viewer sent it in and asked that it be passed on to me.
So if it was you, Thank you so much.

Richard

The following information on Nomad caravans was kindly sent in by Jeff who is a decendant of the original Jennison Family..
Nomad 2.jpg
2 photos of Jeffs grandparents John and Doris Jennison on holidays at Newport Beach camping area in North Sydney.
Nomad 4.jpg
Nomad 1.jpg
Showroom floor with Nomad caravans on the left and right and Pathfinders in the middle, taken about 1938 1939.
Nomad 3.jpg
Jennison workshop.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
jennison

Re: Nomad Caravans.

Post by jennison »

I have an original of the same Richard. I will send you a series of photos so you can update all the different Jennison models.Nomads were built from 1935/36 to the beginning of WW2. regards jennison
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Jennison.
Photos would be great. You saved me the trouble as I was going to email this one to you to see if you had it.

Cheers.
Richard.
Richard

Post by Richard »

A few ads from the late 1930's to the early 1940's for Nomad Caravans or the Transport Engineering Co. It shows that like many caravan builders of the times that they also built trailers and floats etc.
Nomad  November 1939.jpg
Nomad 1November 1942.jpg
Nomad  March 1940.jpg
Nomad 2 November 1942.jpg
griffin

Post by griffin »

A small advert for "NOMAD" from the 1938 Australian Caravan Magazine & Log Book.
Nomad ACM 1938.jpg
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

Some recently obtained copies of the N.R.M.A. Open Road from 1939 to 1941 have proved of interest with some dealing with caravans.
This advertisement was printed in the May 4, 1939 issue and a few pages over the small news item regarding Mr. J. A. Jennison joining the staff at Transport Engineering Co. I must say I'm a little confused by this as on the same page as the Nomad ad there was an ad for Jennison caravans too. Shortly afterwards I understand from the Jennison history he went to the Lithgow Small Arms for the duration of the war.
Does the fact that he joined Transport Engineering (or did he buy into it?) date and may explain the factory photos with both brands of vans present? The same style van is partly visible in the factory photo.
Nomad OR May 4,1939.jpg
Nomad 1 OR May 4, 1939-c.jpg
Nomad 1 OR May 4, 1939-c.jpg (119.64 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Then in the issue dated December 12, 1940 this ad appeared and was published several times up into 1941 when I would have thought caravan building would have been on the back burner due to the war.
Nomad - Open Road - Dec 12, 1940.jpg
A few more bits to add to the puzzle. I'm particularly intrigued in the last advert about camping trailers, ambulances and sales coaches, were the latter two converted caravans?
George
griffin

Post by griffin »

After a visit to the N.R.M.A.'s Library to check out a full collection of the 1939 "Open Road" the following advertisements were found for Nomad, who it seems were happy to advertise their products, much more than any of the other manufacturers in that year.
The first is from early 1939, I didn't record the actual issue but around March/April. A picturesquely framed van with sea and mountains in the background.
Nomad - Open Road -  Mar 1939-c.jpg
This photo appeared in the issue of 21-8-1939 with no article I could find. The photo is credited to H. Young of North Sydney and a few photos of this outfit appear in various advertisements. Interesting that it shows Mum with the ski poles and the kids on the snow sled but no snow in sight, just practicing on the grass no doubt. It is not credited as a Nomad but it is as obvious to us today as it would have been in 1939 as to what brand it is.
Nomad-Open Road 21-8-1939-c.jpg
The next one is from the 21-9-1939 issue and shows what I think is a very cute little van (I want one!!) and has the slogan "Roaming with a Nomad"
Nomad-Open Road 21-9-1939-c.jpg
One of Mr. Edward's photos appears in an advert on the 2-11-1939, this is a large van and car outfit, maybe a Buick car. The recently held N.R.M.A. Caravan Show gets a mention but unfortunately there were no photos of the Nomad exhibit in the article on the show.
Nomad-Open Road  2-11-1939-c.jpg
And the final Nomad item was this article on towing with a small vehicle, 15-11-1939, which does not identify the make of van or car. Again it is obviously a small Nomad but not the same as the more rounded model in the earlier add.
Nomad-Open Rroad  16-11-1939-c.jpg
George
Richard

Post by Richard »

1941 vintage caravan ad for Nomad caravans.
Nomad 41.jpg