wheel bearing seals

General discussion about the topic of historic caravans.
reddo

wheel bearing seals

Post by reddo »

Hi..
Just removed my van hubs as part of the pre tour prepping.
Have noticed grease coming from back of hub onto backing plate and coming out on brake drum face around studs etc.
DSCN6831.JPG
In the back of the hub there is a press in tin seal . it has a felt seal that seals ( or suppose to seal ) grease coming from within the hub / bearings.
DSCN6835.JPG
DSCN6832.JPG
Have tried trailer spares and auto parts shops.. no one has heard of these seals.
I feel that i cant replace with the normal inner seal that you get with an early holden bearing kit .. as the tin seal fits totally within the hub ... unlike the rubber seals which have a rubber lip that presses on the hub body when adjusted up..

Has anyone found a rubber seal that fits the hub and replaces the old pressed tin with felt seal ??

Cheers
Reddo
reddo

Re: wheel bearing seals

Post by reddo »

Good Afternoon tumbleweeds and crickets..

Turns out the bearings are Holden 1948 to 1956 ... so all you FX to FE owners should be familiar with those tin /felt seals.
Managed to score a pair of rubber seals from Bearing Dynamics at Wickham. ... $3.00 ea.
Measurements are..
2.375 OD..... 1.250 ID. X 3/8" thick
Belted em into the hub. cleaned away all the stray grease and refiited the hubs. adjusted the drums adjuster on either side then snuck the cable turnbuckle up a touch more...
all done.
One less thing on the "To Do " List..

Reddo