Restoration Hazards.

Tips and Tricks on buying and restoring your vintage caravan.
Richard

Restoration Hazards.

Post by Richard »

Restoration Hazards.
Another question that I am always asked is “how do I know if my caravan has asbestos in it anywhere”?
Well rather than concentrate on just asbestos I thought I would cover as many of the dangers that you are likely to come across while restoring a vintage caravan. To start I thought that I should mention that as a Professional Building Contractor / Master Builder and a new dad, I consider that any renovation, be it a house or vintage caravan, to be no place for a child. I know that we all like our children to get involved in the restoration process but please leave it until any potential hazards have been removed or contained and any residue thoroughly cleaned.
Firstly we will have a look at ASBESTOS.
It was commonly used in building products up until the 1990’s so this type of product will contain asbestos in varying percentages. Generally speaking the older the product the more asbestos it may contain.
Some of the places where you may find asbestos in a vintage caravan restoration.
• An insulation rope or packing around some of the “hot” parts of a fridge, which are usually only accessible from the back so you would need to remove the fridge.
• Vinyl floor tiles and possibly the glue sticking them down.
• “Fibro” sheeting around a stove recess, used as a heat shield.
• “Zelemite”, a black board used in electrical fuse boards etc.
• Wheel brake linings. (Pre 2004.)
Most asbestos to be found in a vintage caravan was used as a heat shield (apart from vinyl tiles) and most of the asbestos products are OK if left undisturbed. Under no circumstances should the material containing the asbestos be scraped, sanded or drilled etc as this would release the fibres.
If the asbestos needs to be removed, a professional asbestos consultant should be sought.
LEAD.
Most lead found in a vintage caravan would be contained in the paint, with most paints manufactured before 1979 containing a varying percentage of lead. The paint with the highest lead content would be the “red lead” undercoat paint used on the exterior of just about every ply or Masonite covered caravan. “Red lead” could contain up to 50% lead and the enamel paint used over the red lead would also contain lead but at a lower percentage, again depending on the age, the older the paint the higher the lead content.
To test for lead in the paint you should be able to buy a test kit from your local paint supplier.
Once again the paint is OK if left undisturbed, or sealed with lead free paint, but the lead could be released if sanded or scraped.
FIBREGLASS INSULATION.
Fibreglass insulation was commonly used as a “climate” insulation to keep the interior cooler in summer and warmer in winter, it could also be found as insulation around an ice box or fridge. It is made by spinning “liquid glass” through a mesh sieve so it has the appearance of fairy floss.
Most of the insulation in a vintage caravan would be contained in the wall cavities so if these are left undisturbed it should be OK.
ELECTRICAL WIRING.
Another danger, but not necessary a restoration one, but one that should be carried out during the restoration process is the checking of all the 240 volt electrical wiring and switching in the caravan. This should only be carried out by a licenced electrician, with the main things to look for is the breaking down of the cable insulation, operation of the points and switches and the upgrading of the fuses. Most vintage caravans would have a 240 volt fuse with a replaceable fuse wire, these should be upgraded by the electrician.

These are just a few of the hazards that a vintage caravan restoration could throw at you. It is by no means a complete list as every restoration will contain different hazards. Especially considering that a lot of vintage caravans were home built on a tight budget and they would use whatever was on hand.
I am writing this article to let people know of some of the hazards to look out for when restoring a vintage caravan, but I am by no means trying to put anyone off the very satisfying process of a vintage caravan restoration.
If in doubt of any hazardous products in your vintage caravan please seek professional advice.

The black backing board of this fuse board may contain asbestos.
Image A.JPG

The red pigment in the plywood is the remains of Red Lead paint.

Image B.JPG

An old caravan main fuse board where the fuses and wiring may need to be upgraded.

Image C.JPG

The insulation cavity around this ice box may contain fibreglass insulation.

Image D.JPG

These vinyl floor tiles are starting to lift and break up which may release asbestos fibres.

Image E.JPG

A stove recess like this could be lined with fibro containing asbestos.

Image F.JPG

A piece of broken fibro dating from the 1960’s with asbestos fibres clearly shown.

Image G.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.