Viscount Valiant - Re-purposed

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Strugglebrook

Re: Viscount Valiant - Re-purposed

Post by Strugglebrook »

Looks almost factory. :D :D :D :D :D
reddo

Post by reddo »

All sheeted up.. tailgate hinged ... corner moulds glued and screwed..used a number plate mounting plate with tail light i found amongst the second hand sheeting and stuff i got from Judi at Singleton the other day.8-)

Thinking of using a roller door latching rods / key operated mechanism mounted just below the number plate bracket to secure the tailgate shut. That way it will be less obviuos that the rear end opens than using a T handle etc.
DSCN6223.JPG
I will get that sheet of glass that is standing next to the step ladder cut down to 1000 X 500 mm ( currently about 1500 long) so it will fit in the top sheet of the tailgate. I priced the "H" section rubber that the glass sits in, at Clark rubber the other day.. $12.95 / metre and $3.00 / metre or the locking / infill rubber.

Thats all for a while now.. Will find space in the carport for it today. Heading off to a swapmeet for the weekend. Perhaps i might score some period looking tailights for the van??
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

Looking more factory all the time. :D :D :D :D :D :D
reddo

Post by reddo »

Slotted it into the carport next to the Supalite yesterday... The Viscount is now a tad over 9 '6" .. about 10 inches shorter than the bondwood. .. and stands about 6 inches higher..so .. looking more like a "Tin Dice" every day..
Would be nice to modify the side entry to a dropped step set up like the Supalite...
DSCN4350.JPG
but that would involve making a steel framework to support it .. and extending the door about 6 inches longer...
The pull out step got smashed/ badly bent out of shape and partially torn off the chassis when the van suffered the damage to the front left corner.. Just another repair job later on..
I will look at lowering the thing about 3 inches if i can .. that will make access easier .. and also make loading a motorbike easier .. a bit less huff and puff pushing up the ramp.
Yeah , Yeah.. i know.. why dont ya just ride it up in there Reddo... There was a time when i would have ... but i just wouldn't trust myself nowadays.. probably end up doing a stunt ride straight through the front of the van and end up out on the drawbar !!!!

Salada
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

I would pay folding to see it ridden on if scotch was involved. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
reddo

Post by reddo »

Are you suggesting i should wear a kilt????

Ock aye laddie
Hang on.. I will go and get the caper... The tosser has just arrived!!!!
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

I was thinking of the builder whom turns into a tosser when scotch is applied. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
reddo

Post by reddo »

Ummmm.. That would be "Bob the builder... terrible role model for the kids...
Not Glenn the constructor... :lol:

U must have hit a bump and gone off channel ..??
Here.. let me help you ...

Did i tell ya i am constructing a Viscount caravan / bike hauler...???
Now there ya go.. you should be Ok now.... just dont mess with the station tuner. again... ;)
reddo

Post by reddo »

Spent a few hours on the Valiant yesterday ..

Made up 2 struts/ stays out of 19 mm aluminium tubing ..flattened the ends, rounded them off and slotted one end , drilled hole in the other. Hinged at the top and secured halfway down the sides of the opening when opened with wingnuts Simple enough :idea: ...was going to use old steel adjustable tent poles to make the stays... but thought why mess about with adjustables??.. either the tailgates going to be wide open . or not at all.!! A lot cheaper than messing about trying to set up gas strut !!. Fitted 2 retainer clips up the top that hold the stays when the gate is shut. Still have to nut out locking system.... have asked a mate that installs roller doors to score me a second hand locking mechanism / locking slats / key.. but havent heard back from him yet !! :(

DSCN6263.JPG
Had a bit of help from the Grandkids.. Hannah and Jacko.... :D 8-)
DSCN6262.JPG
Sheeted the lower sections of the van on either side ready for the inner guards to be folded and fitted.
DSCN6258.JPG

Heading over to the mates place today to get the inner guards folded. I had a few offcuts of thick aluminium sheet left over from the last TD project.. just enough to make the guards. Its local council junk pile week on the footpaths around our way .I managed to scrounge a 1500 mm square sheet of 3 mm thick perspex in reasonably good condition. will use it to replace the timber sheets in a couple of the windows..Rained hard for a few hours today.. good opportunity to check for roof leaks while most of the inner lining is off... All good so far... not a drop... but the hatch will still need to be rebuilt. Its gooped down solid with silastic... YUK. plus the tiber framework around it has swollen and rotted.

As JBJ use to say....Its all fun.. Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Went out and used the mates folder to make up the 2 inner guards yesterday..
Finished and fitted one of them off..
DSCN6267.JPG
Will finish the other one off this morning..
Fitted two padbolts to the bottom of the gate to lock it shut.. door wasnt sealing tightly against the door jam so i made up to locking latches that flip over and are held shut by the same bolt and wing nut that holds the stay in place when the tailgate is open..
DSCN6268.JPG
Had a "Play" with some perspex.. made up 4 narrow panels.. then cut the aluminium in the top half of the tailgate about 15 mm smaller than the perspex. Sikaflexed and stuck the panels on the inside of the tailgate...
DSCN6266.JPG
Trying to achieve the "jailbar windows" sort of look.. the black around the windows is just Pot Belly flat Black paint.. sorta looks like rubber .. sorta looks like shit too ????.. will clean it off with thinners today.. maybe make up some 10 mm aluminium round bar and run the bars down the middle of each perspex panel...

More later
Reddo D mangler