Shellharbour 2018

This is the place to post a story and photos of your recent getaway in your Historic caravan.
Strugglebrook

Re: Shellharbour 2018

Post by Strugglebrook »

If Shellharbour brings the rain , send it down Huey!!! Worth discussing with Bagwan Shree Ragneesh Judy though .

PSK.
jubbard

Post by jubbard »

It is nearly time for the annual migration from near and far to beautiful Shellharbour , where the weather is always full of surprises. Maybe this year it will surprise us with lots of sunshine 😄.
There are a few things on to keep everyone entertained :

Saturday morning Judy ( Mrs Koala ) has offered to have a craft morning , she is kindly bringing all the supplies .

Saturday morning there is Loot In Your Boot a car boot sale at Redall Reserve Lake Illawarra , I have never been but have heard it is really good.

Saturday morning the Gerringong markets are also on .

Saturday afternoon all gather at the camp kitchen for a get together , last years scone contest was lots of fun . What should we do this year ? Desperately need suggestions.

Saturday night the park is going to supply us with a sausage sizzle again .

Sunday morning the Kiama Seaside markets are on .

There has been the usual shuffling of sites due to some not being able to make it this year , this has resulted in sites 21N and 20N being left vacant . This means we will unfortunately have modern vans in between us , so if you know of anyone who would like to join us please let me know as soon as possible .

Unfortunately there are no cars shows on this weekend , I'm not sure how it happened but we seemed to have crept forward by a week meaning we miss the Jamberoo Car Show , will sort this for next year .

Also on Friday 19th October Sydney Weekender will be filming a segment on the park and Julie is very excited that the vintage vans will be there , so make sure they are all looking their very best as they might be famous and make the story .

See everyone soon

Jude and Geoff

Read more: http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/po ... z5T1EDeFQy
reddo

Post by reddo »

Hi Jude..
Thanks for the update on whats doin' at the Harbour this year...

I as long time sufferer of C.R.A.F.T ( Cant remember a Flaming thing ;) ) i look forward to ... umm ... oh geez .. what was it i was lookin forward to??................. :roll: ...... :roll: ......,,, oh yeah.....I Will bring my knitting needles and a scain of wool for the Koala Kraft Knitoff Comp.. I still have my 3 sleeved jumper i knitted last year :D

Plenty of markets on Saturday... can i suggest we have a bit of a Vintage van flea market of our own.....I have a bit of gear i would like to unload.. Auto tent, camping chairs, aluminium windows, latches etc. .. maybe a few others that have gear to sell swap off??

Last years scone cook off was good.. rumour has it there was a corrupt judge>>,,, ....Things can get a bit messy in the annexe with flour and dough flying everywhere... i near got arrested last year.. i came out of the annexe with my lovingly prepared scones.. but.. looking like a Papua New Guinea High Country Mudman Headhunter. all sorta caked in flour and my hair standing on end.. frightening stuff !!
I am happy to be an assistant judge / sampler if we go ahead with the scones.... gotta keep last years Koal... ummmm.. judge honest !!

Was thinking maybe something like a "Rat on a Stick " comp..A real hot item at late night club venues.. almost as popular as Beef Cymanella Kababs
Theme being food has to end in "nese"... Chinese... Pekinese ( Geoff impression of Peking Duck is to die for ).. Vietnamese,, havagoathese... whathehellrthese.....even some .. " Jackrusselanese." . ( Very similar to rat on a stick .........and plentiful supply in the park ) ) ?????

The office sells pizza bases,, we could have a pizza challenge... problem is that just about everyone else in the park do the same thing on the same day .. so the oven in the camp kitchen can be "booked out" for hours??... and after hogging Pizza all arvo .. just how many of the managers sausages are you gunna manage to pack into your gob .. so .. pizza comp is out !!..

I am bringing the fishing gear again....maybe I can knock up a seafood platter .... Rock Cod...Toads.. stunned Mullet... Eels.. puffer fish.... Pike... bent hooks... Kelp.. rusty lures....sea weed ... black headed stale bait prawns......and a few other things too repulsive to name??.. served on a bed of Burley and marinated in Methylated spirits.. with a sprinkle of rock salt to bring out those exotic flavours. ..... yummo !!!

I read that the Sydney weekender is coming along.. oh goody.. Why do i always get the words to John English's song in my head whenever i read this sort of thing?.
"Hollywood 7 rooms to rent till ya name goes up in lights..
aaaaaa .. Hollywood 7 you can dream your dreams for 7 bucks a night"..

Annexe ropes all straight and true??... set out the finest of granmas crockery and cutlery.. make sure the 3 flying ducks are straight and in perfect squadron formation on the kitchen wall.... dust off the fobbergross flamingos.. and give the picket fence that last minute lick of gloss white........ Oh ... alright.. i will hide the dirty washing .. and run the carpet sweeper through the annexe.. in readiness for that elusive interview... :lol:

I was wandering if anyone would be interested in a game of Qoits... would probably have to set the pitch outside the log fence on the walkway that runs beside the beach past the van park.. or maybe down on the sand before you walk out onto the rocks??. I doubt the managers would want us carving up a van site with metal rings thrown from 10 metres away.. and then there is the issue of misguided steel rings rolling off into the side of cars .. vans and .... people.

Sounds like plenty to do ... I will lob on my traditional dungmound ... site 44N around 11;00 ish on Thursday .
Looking forward to catching up with all the other migratory birds... Who knows??.. might even see a long lost foul mouthed Macaw do an exhibition flyover ???

Reddo
jubbard

Post by jubbard »

A couple of changes to our Saturday plans . There is also an open day / sale at Oak Flats plant nursery that some people have expressed interest in going to , with this and Loot in Your Boot and Gerringong Markets we have moved Judy's craft demo to 1.00pm .

It has been suggested we all get together around 2.00-2.30pm for a Loooooong Lunch , this will include anyone who would like to make scones or bake a cake for judging , or just bring a plate of something to share while we sit around chatting and possibly drinking until the sausage sizzle later in the day.

Geoff has said he might even make pikelets if you are lucky ( or not )

Jude & Geoff
reddo

Post by reddo »

Geoff has said he might even make pikelets if you are lucky ( or not )

Happy to sample pikelets...
Just keep him and Alan apart so they dont conspire to make Vegemite toast in white sauce.... EVER again ..

Meanwhile..
"I'm siiiiiinnnnggggiiinnnggg in the rain
Just siiiiiinnnnnngggggiiinnnngggg in the rain
What a glorrrrrriiiiooous feeling
I'm soooogggggggyyyy again

I walk down the lane
With a happppppyyyy refrain..
Just singing.. and camping ... in the rain !!!

Now lets seeeee... will it be the 1960 Supalite.. or do i have to go and dust out the Ark that i used last year.???/

Reddo. D . Migrating Muttonbird.
Last edited by reddo on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strugglebrook

Post by Strugglebrook »

But Master it will all be worth it when you see my happy smiling face and Rattcliffe washes your wheels.

Junior. :D :D :D :D :D
reddo

Post by reddo »

VERMIN.........................................................................X 2
reddo

Post by reddo »

I read elsewhere ...from Geoff and Jude who are already on site at Shellharbour...
" howdy all .....Beautiful and sunny here at Shellharbour with just a mild zephyr blowing in."
Photo shows the Ritz hovering approx 6 " above ground level.... with Aussie flag set like a Sydney to Hobart spinnaker.
But ... HEY.. The sun is shining ... :D :D :D :D

:mrgreen:
reddo

Post by reddo »

Well that's Shellharbour 2018 done and dusted.. 8-)

A real mixed bag of weather.. Wind from all points of the compass. light drizzle rain giving way to brilliant sunshine.. the the humidity would build up and massive storm fronts would roll in from the south west threatening to wipe out everything in its path.... but .. fortunately it was more rumble, strong wind and lightning .. it did rain but it wasnt but not heavy enough to collapse the canvas etc.
DSCN6440.JPG
With all this going on around us we took the opportunity to hold impromptu annexe parties of arvo .. along with the usual street gatherings of deck chairs and drinks.

Chief organiserette aunty Jude suggested that we shift the scheduled " sausage sizzle" get together in the camp kitchen grassed BBQ area from Saturday to Friday arvo due to the prediction of heavy rain Saturday arvo. It turned out to be a wise move. about 50 or 60 people enjoyed a great arvo in the sun and later a tastey feast of sausage sangers and bread rolls etc. Good to see a few new faces coming along for a meet and greet as well. Big thanks to the Park manager Mark and his wife for supplying the tucker and thanks to John Strugglebrook and a few others for doing the snag flipping on the hotplates etc.
I arrived on Wednesday and managed to set up in what Geoff had described as a "mild zephyr"...done the usual rounds of the vans catching up with old mates and meeting new ones.. checking out the latest renos and modifications etc... a few beers and easy evening meal then of to bed early.. grabbed a magazine for a read ... then...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. .Up early Thursday morning , grabbed the fishing gear and headed down onto the rocks in front of the van park for a fish.. the usual catch or Wirras, Rock Cods .. and rocks.. but percerverence paid off... finally fluked a nice bream.. which i cleaned up for grilled lunch in the annexe..
DSCN6426.JPG
By Thursday arvo the park was starting to look more and more like a scene from a 1960s caravan park as a steady stream of old vans arrived to set up for the weekend..
One that i hadnt seen before.....A nice 38 Chev coupe with alloy van ...
DSCN6456.JPG
I have reached my 3 photo limit per session.. will post more...
Reddo
reddo

Post by reddo »

Some good news.. The tracking device and go-pro camera i attached to Polly D. swearing Macaw when he mysteriously returned to me last Friday has decided to start functioning again...????
As we all know he dissappeared from my custody and care again on Sunday... just as mysteriously as he had appeared back in my van on Friday :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :?: :?: :?: :?:
There is some Very interesting images being beamed back to the Shed of Invention here at Barnsvegas..

The trip plotter shows me that he left Shellharbour not long after i did on Monday morning..???.,. headed north and almost came back to Barnsley... but failed to take the Toronto exit off the M1 motorway...??
He headed on up the highway and turned left onto the Hunter Expressway.. where.. not long after he took a break at the Buchanan rest area??

Now here is the really weird part.. the images i am recieving from the go-pro is of someones feet and ankles ????

Has he crashed and burned??.. Is he trying to take inappropriate photos up someones pants???
Maybe he has stowed away in a secret compartment in someones car and has got stuck.. slowly dying of smothercaction.. :o :shock: :o :shock:

Unfortunately the monitoring system has blacked out again.. we here at Reddotel Electronic Gadgetry are working on getting the system up and running again.. lets hope we can solve this mystery before we lose poor polly .......

" So heeeerrreee am i ..
Floating in a tin can
Faaaaar above the world
Planet earth is blue
and theres nothing i can do ??"

stay tuned folks....