Western NSW.

Photos and Information on Members Caravans. This a great place to introduce yourself.
Richard

Western NSW.

Post by Richard »

Linda and I headed off on Saturday morning to visit one of my sisters who lives out near Cowra. It was a beautiful day for a drive as we headed off, with a morning tea stop at Gunning and a look at a couple of Garage sales. We then continued along the expressway to Yass and headed West out to Boorowa

We stopped at a small town for fuel and a quick look around and after a chat with the petrol station owner we were off on a quick detour to have a look at an old caravan. We tracked down Mal and organised a time in the morning to have a look at his van.

And this is Mal's Gracemuir caravan that he has owned for about 8 years. He has just returned from an 8 week holiday to Queensland in it.
Gracemuir 1.jpg
Gracemuir 2.jpg
Gracemuir 3.jpg
Gracemuir 4.jpg
Then later on Sunday morning we met up with a mate of my Nephew who I was in contact with over the phone a few times about 8 years ago after he bought a Propert Folding Caravan.

And to my Surprise this is Mat's Propert.
Prop 1.jpg
Well its not actually a Propert, but some one has built there own version of a Propert and this would be the first copied Propert that I have come across in about 16 years. It doesnt have the folding mechanism fitted to the side, so to fold out the van the Top shell is lifted up into position, then you go in through the door and lift up the Second shell and lock it in with some wooden pegs.
Prop 2.jpg
Prop 3.jpg
While we where there one of Mats friends told us about another old caravan back in town, so off we headed again in search of another treasure.

And this is what we found.
English 1.jpg
Iam not sure what it is but it definately is an English caravan. The outside looks a bit rough but it is in fairly good condition.
English 2.jpg
English 3.jpg
Well we didnt get to spend a great deal of time with my sister and her family but we did end up unearthing a few caravans and Linda and I had another great weekend together.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.
sportsman1

Re: Western NSW.

Post by sportsman1 »

Hi Richard,

The Gracemuir in the top photos looks like a Sunliner to me, was the Gracemuir a Sunliner that was marketed by a company as Gracemuir or was the Gracemuir a stand alone maker?
Richard

Re: Western NSW.

Post by Richard »

Hi Sportsman.
You have just beaten me, as I was going to add this information.
Gracemuir Caravans were built in Bundaberg using the old 58 59 Sunliner moulds. Iam not sure if they were built in 58, 59 or whether they obtained the old moulds from Sunliner as they improved their models. The photos do not show it but the only way to tell that it is a Gracemuir is they had 2 small wrap around windows at the front as well as an aluminium opening window in the middle.

Cheers.
Richard.
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.