Finding Parts.

Tips and Tricks on buying and restoring your vintage caravan.
Richard

Finding Parts.

Post by Richard »

While in Cowra earlier this year, the question I was asked the most was -
“Where is the best place to find parts for our historic caravan”? So over the next few issues I thought I would cover a few different items and where to find them.
If you are after original parts or accessories either new or second hand there are only a few places that you can possibly find them, but as Murphy's Law states you will probably find what you are looking for after you have just fitted a substitute, and it is bound to be cheaper.
Vintage Caravan Magazine.

The Internet.
The ourtouringpast.com forum has a For Sale and Wanted section that Linda and I would like to expand. As the website specializes in Australian caravan history and restoration, we would like to make it the “place to go” for your caravan restoration. So if you have something For Sale relating to historic caravans or if you are searching for an item, then check out the forum.
Another website is gumtree that is a community classifieds site, where you will find many things including historic caravans and occasionally caravan parts.
Iam sure most people know the for’s and against’s of buying on online auction sites such as eBay and quicksales, if you are after a specific item then this maybe the best place to find it, and you can search for it in the comfort of your own home. I won’t go too far into these sites other than if you want the item set yourself a realistic reserve and stick to it, because of the popularity of these sites if you do really want the item you may need to be prepared to pay a premium price for it.

Swap Meets.
Lind and I would travel around 8,000 km per year to and from swap meets, as we think they are the best way to find those elusive caravan parts, and the prices are usually fair. But in saying that you may travel to several swap meets and purchase nothing relating to caravans, and if you are after a specific item you may travel too many more before you find what you need. We have also learnt that if you find something you like and the price is OK, purchase it there and then, if you walk away and decide to come back later there is a good chance it will be gone.

Caravan wrecks
This would have to be the most over looked way to find original parts, but being a caravan restorer, I am always reluctant to wreck a caravan, but some caravans are beyond restoration.( even for me ). I must admit that I have picked up and stripped an unrestorable aluminium caravan just to salvage the cupboard door handles.

Caravan Wreckers.
There are no specific caravan wreckers that I know of ( if they are out there please let me know ) but you may be lucky enough to find a caravan repairer that has been in business for many years and has collected parts that they thought would come in handy one day .
Caravan Accessory Suppliers.
You may be lucky to find a supplier that carries a few parts for classic caravans ( pre 1980 ) but you will be hard pressed to find any vintage caravan ( pre 1960 ) parts at one of these suppliers.
So if all else fails and you still can’t find what you are looking for don’t forget the good old word of mouth, as I have found over the years that historic caravan owners are mostly a friendly bunch and will help each other out where they can, or they may know of someone that has what you are after.

Photo 1.
A Windmill Caravans badge similar to this one recently sold on eBay.
Parts 1.JPG

Photo 2.
This little Supalite caravan was beyond restoration, but the parts were used to restore another.
Parts 2.JPG

Photo 3.
A couple of 12 volt interior lights that we purchased at a swap meet for $4.00.
Parts 3.JPG

Photo 4.
Another swap meet find was this brass pump for $5.00.
Parts 4.JPG

Photo 5.
A BBQ set purchased at our local markets.
Parts 5.JPG
Slot headed screws are no longer made and are perfect for that authentic restoration.
Parts 6.JPG
A couple of other items picked up for next to nothing.
Parts 7.JPG
Parts 8.JPG
ourtouringpast.com THE vintage caravan restoration website
and home of The National Caravan Museum.